GPS Time 00:00:00 GPS Date 00/00/0000
Satellites Tracked 0 Available Satellites 0
Height 0 meters Antenna Connection Unknown

Latitude N00 00.0000
Longitude E00 00.0000 Invalid Msg 0

Restart Count 0
GPS Receiver Information
Unknown

Now, the APs at this site are set to timing port. The say they are Receiving Sync. Does this make sense? Do you think this could cause problems with my other CMM cluster site just 3 miles away?

Whitch cmm are you using? From my experiance the CMM2 propogates all gps info to all modules plugged into it. So on the gps screen of the ap you would see all info. With this unit all modules need to be set to recieve sync at the timing port. With the CMMmicro the gps info is only displayed in the cmm. It does not propogate all info to all modules tied to it. These units should all be set to recieve sync from power port. If you look at their gps status screen all fields will be as you described but pulse status will say recieving sync.

does this help?

what sounds strange is you are describing what you would see with a CMMmicro but your modules are set to timing port.

You should make this clear:

using CMM2 - set the AP to receive sync on the Timing port (2nd cable)
using CMMmicro - set the AP to receive sync on the Power port (one cable for all - power, sync, data).

All information about the GPS status by using the CMMmicro are on the CMM module. If you are using the CMM2 (the older module), you have to use 2 (two) cables - one for power and data, second for sync and there you will see GPS status on the AP web page GPS Status. It’s all in the manuals.

Thanks for the Input. I agree should be “all in the manuals.” But if my answer was there, I wouldn’t be here Marwill :shock:

We are using the the older CMM2.
We are set to timing port.
We use the 2nd cable.

we have two other clusters, same setup and we get this type of output:

GPS Status
Pulse Status Receiving Sync
Tracking Mode 3D Fix
GPS Time 08:37:01 GPS Date 11/12/2005
Satellites Tracked 9 Available Satellites 9
Height 2080 meters Antenna Connection OK

Invalid Msg 0

Restart Count 0
GPS Receiver Information

COPYRIGHT 1991-2002 MOTOROLA INC.
SFTW P/N # 61-G10268A
SOFTWARE VER # 2
SOFTWARE REV # 0
SOFTWARE DATE AUG 14 2002
MODEL # P283T12T11
HWDR P/N # 2
SERIAL # P05DWW
MANUFACTUR DATE 3C17

The GPS module appears to be bad, as it isn’t recognized. So why does the AP say recieving synch? Wierd…

could you be feeding that site with a BHS that is getting it’s timing from a BHM at a diffarent site? Does this slave have a cable from the timing port to the cmm if so you could be feeding it from the other site.

That’s auctually a good thought. No, not in this case. this a backhaul straight from a T1. Frustrating thing is, Canopy support suggested sending in the CMM. That, to me, is just crazy. Bring down and entire base to replace the GPS module?

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement GPS module?

If you have one that works, try swapping the GPS module with the one you think is broke.

I thought about that. man, that would be a lot of work, and a lot of downed clients…lol :shock:

Oh, I thought one wasn’t working already? it shouldn’t take 5 min to make the change, just to see if it works if not switch it back. Of course my Gps unit is close to the ground.

YappaDappa wrote:
ok, here's what my CMM says about my GPS:

GPS Receiver Information
Unknown

Now, the APs at this site are set to timing port. The say they are Receiving Sync. Does this make sense? Do you think this could cause problems with my other CMM cluster site just 3 miles away?

We've got the same problems with our CMM2, except that the other GPS status (sats, tracks, etc) are displayed there. Plus it starts from time to time to loose the sync, paralyzing the network. Plus sometimes the APs think that they've Reset plug in the GPS port. What the Masters of Motorola would say to this?
argent_smith wrote:

We've got the same problems with our CMM2, except that the other GPS status (sats, tracks, etc) are displayed there. Plus it starts from time to time to loose the sync, paralyzing the network. Plus sometimes the APs think that they've Reset plug in the GPS port. What the Masters of Motorola would say to this?

See my previous post on this: http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp ... php?t=1475

Make sure one of the radios are plugged into port 1 of the CMM. Once you validated that then reboot the radio in port 1.

Background…

All the radios plugged into the CMM get the sync pulse however [u:30wm3rn4]only[/u:30wm3rn4] the radio in port 1 sends commands to the GPS receiver. So if the display on the GPS status screen shows no sat’s tracked or nothing in the receiver then the first thing to do is reboot the radio in port 1. This will cause the radio to issue commands to the GPS receiver and at that point if you dont see an improvement on the GPS status screen then there are one of three problems. 1. The radio sync port is bad. 2. The GPS sync cable is bad. 3. The receiver is bad.

So my suggestion is to do the following:
1. Reboot the radio in port 1 of the CMM.
2. Take a GPS sync cable from another AP/BH and move it into port 1 (this will eliminate 2 of the 3 potential problems…the radio sync port and the GPS sync cable)
3. Replace the GPS receiver.

This is important

Since this serial communication could cause the display to miss data or display false data you shouldnt assume that there is an issue. Look in the radio’s event log for GPS status messages. If you arent seeing an issue in the event log then you are probably not having GPS issues. Rebooting the radio in the first port might clear your problem.

If the FPGA fails to get a sync pulse then you will see this in the event log. That is when you know you have a problem.

How do I go about option three, Replace the GPS receiver, since option 1 and 2 resulted in no change? I can’t find a replacement part anywhere.

If you had a spare CMM you could move it but if you dont then you have to RMA the unit.

Canopy_Support wrote:

3. Replace the GPS receiver.

****This is important****

Since this serial communication could cause the display to miss data or display false data you shouldnt assume that there is an issue. Look in the radio's event log for GPS status messages. If you arent seeing an issue in the event log then you are probably not having GPS issues. Rebooting the radio in the first port might clear your problem.

If the FPGA fails to get a sync pulse then you will see this in the event log. That is when you know you have a problem.

Well, sometimes i've got these messages five times per hour:
11:58:38 UT : 02/20/06 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/rf.c : Line 2343 Acquired GPS Sync Pulse.
15:38:47 UT : 02/20/06 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/rf.c : Line 2424 Loss of GPS Sync Pulse.
15:39:14 UT : 02/20/06 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/rf.c : Line 2343 Acquired GPS Sync Pulse.
20:13:36 UT : 02/20/06 : File C:/ISIPPC/pssppc.250/bsps/devices/whisp/rf.c : Line 2424 Loss of GPS Sync Pulse.

What's wrong then? What's it? GPS module? S/w bug in AP at port 1? We have checked all the cables we could.

We tried to replace the GPS module with the one shipped by local Canopy vendor, but that one simply hadn't got sync after an hour of uptime (all wiring awas OK, which was confirmed by the vendor's technician, GPS status was dispalyed), so we've sent it back and still work with the old and probably broken one.

Next week we may start losing our clients who can't use their Internet-intensive apps despite the glossy Canopy booklets.

We trusted our business to Canopy equipment. It's hellishly hard to move to another equipmant due to an awful bureaucracy situation here. So it'd be better to find a healthy decision or just state that Canopy is largely unreliable when in goes from ads to real work. :-(

Can we replace the standard GPS module with a 3rd party one? Can we get a documentation to make a replacement ourselves? Our whole business depends on Canopy now, so we’d like it to WORK. Now, it doesn’t.

I’m sure you tested the area for interferance, when you loose gps tracking did other types of gps device continue working? If so and you have no interferance, all of the cables are good, you tested several locations for the gps unit. Then before I would loose one customer I would purchase another cmm-micro and send the other for repair. It can always be used somewhere else.

Argent_smith,
By any chance did you replace the CMM Micro? Did they test the cable as outlined in the following document?

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp … d=247&c=14

What were the values that they experienced?

clueless wrote:
I'm sure you tested the area for interferance, when you loose gps tracking did other types of gps device continue working? If so and you have no interferance, all of the cables are good, you tested several locations for the gps unit. Then before I would loose one customer I would purchase another cmm-micro and send the other for repair. It can always be used somewhere else.

BTW sync restores immediately each time we do a cold restart through power reset. Can it be because of a wrong GPS antenna position? Or just a bad GPS module? For one year before this the system worked without any failure.

I'd be happy to "just order another CMMm", but local vendor would get it here in 2-3 months. Good time for thinking...
Canopy_Support wrote:
Argent_smith,
By any chance did you replace the CMM Micro? Did they test the cable as outlined in the following document?

http://motorola.canopywireless.com/supp ... d=247&c=14

What were the values that they experienced?

We could not replace the whole CMM because of the reason i've mentioned in the previous message. Nobody has checked the cabling as you say because this is not in the common docs (correct me if that's not true). However, the GPS display on the AP read like "GPS Cable OK".

I appreciate your advice. What else can we do?