How do I setup a basic Mesh deployment for XV/XE series AP's in cnMaestro

Summary: This article describes how to Mesh two XV/XE series AP’s together in cnMaestro. For the purposes of this article, ensure both AP’s are running CaOS 6.4.1-r5 or greater and are plugged directly into the Switch. For further reading, please review the Enterprise Wi-Fi AP Mesh deployment guidelines.

cnMaestro

1. Login to cnMaestro

2. Select the WLAN menu icon from the left menu

cnmae5

3. Click on the New button to create a new WLAN

4. Set the following options for the Base WLAN

• Name of WLAN (not SSID) - I have used Mesh-Base to distinguish the WLAN from the Mesh-Client we are going to use later

• SSID - Enabled

• SSID - Mesh - This needs to be the same for both the Mesh-Base and Mesh-Client WLANs

• Mesh - Select Base for this WLAN

• VLAN - 1

• Set the SSID Security method, in this case I have used WPA2 PSK

• Select 2.4GHz or 5GHz to be used for this Mesh. Both SSIDs will need the same band to be chosen.

• Hide SSID Enabled

• Save the WLAN configuration

1. Select the WLAN menu icon again and create a new WLAN

2. Set the following options for the Client WLAN

• Name of WLAN (not SSID) - I have used Mesh-Client to distinguish the WLAN from the Mesh-Base we have already created

• SSID - Enabled

• SSID - Mesh - This needs to be the same for both the Mesh-Base and Mesh-Client WLANs

• Mesh - Select Client for this WLAN

• VLAN - 1

• Set the SSID Security method, in this case I have used WPA2 PSK. This needs to be exactly the same (including password) as the Mesh Base WLAN we previously created.

• Select 2.4GHz or 5GHz to be used for this Mesh. Both SSIDs will need the same band to be chosen.

• Save the WLAN configuration

1. Click on the AP Groups menu icon and select New to create a new AP group

2. A new page will open, under the Basic page, name the new AP Group “MeshBase”

3. Scroll down to the WLAN option and click Add WLAN

4. Select the Mesh-Base WLAN we previously created and click Add

5. Click the Management menu option and set a new Administrator password for the AP Group

6. Scroll down and click the Save button to finish creating the MeshBase AP group

7. Repeat steps 7-12 but this time, name the Group MeshClient and in steps 9 and 10, add the Mesh-Client WLAN group instead of the Mesh-Base WLAN group.

8. Now we need to add the APs to the appropriate AP Groups. Select the Devices menu option from the left side.

cnmae13

9. Click the hostname of the AP you wish to use as the Client AP from your list of AP’s

cnmae14

10. Select the Configuration option along the top and then under Device Configuration - AP Group, select the MeshClient group we created earlier

11. Scroll down and select Apply Configuration to push the configuration to the Base AP.

12. To stop a Network loop from occurring once the Mesh has been formed (as both APs are currently plugged in to the Switch), once the MeshClient configuration has successfully applied, unplug the Client AP.

13. Repeat steps 14-17 for the Base AP, applying the MeshBase AP Group instead of the MeshClient AP Group.

14. Confirm the configuration has successfully applied to the Base AP. Plug the Client AP into the PoE adapter (with no network cable) and after the Client AP has successfully booted, a Mesh should form.

1 Like

I am begging you for one thing, do not write in this case that it is ZERO TOUCH MESH. Because just like in the e410, e 600 and other models, you have to really know what you are doing. Anyway, on the latest firmware 6.4.1 e410 does not run mesh despite the correct configuration :slight_smile:

Hi Pshemo

There is no mention of Zero Touch Mesh in this article :smiley:. In regards to the e410 6.4.1 issue, please log a support case and we can investigate this further.

Many thanks
Stuart

1 Like

Pshemo,
Can you please let us know what is the issue that you are facing with e410 mesh ?

I have had enough of every new software release to write to you what is wrong. It is you who should test your solutions. You don’t have any test scenarios. Everything is released into the element. Maybe it will work … Since on 4.2.2.1 with the above MESH configuration on the e410 working, and after uploading 6.4.1 it does not work, it is obvious that it is not my fault and my configuration. I would like to add that after the recently reported bug, allowing you to test on my environments, no one would even write back that the problem was solved. Well, here’s how Cambium works.

Cambium now have problem to do mesh on 5GHz directly on AP gui. Mesh using 2.4GHz is a success tho.

Hi Cambium team,

I’m doing the test using a Mesh Network configuration, then if I’m not wrong the Base Mesh is spreading the SSID to connect to the Client Mesh and also to connect the wireless customers, however the Client Mesh is not spreading a SSID for Wireless customers, is that correct? We can do WDS using the Client Mesh but it will not be able to connect wireless customers as the Base can do?

Radio models I’m testing: Cambium Indoor E425H and External XV2-T0.

Thank you so much.

Sorry, I just realized that I need to create a second SSID for customers, now I did and yes I can connect wireless clients in the BASE and in the CLIENT MESH.

Thanks, my bad.

Hi, still not working Mesh Auto Detect Backhaul (Base) for 6.x ?

Not yet, maybe in next release

@Miguel_Yepez2
Please let me know 6.x version you are using and deployment case and expectation.

Silly question, as i’ve only done this once for testing about a year ago.

You just add the customer SSIDs to the groups if you wanted to allow continuation of coverage?

Also by doing this would it affect any kind of seamless roaming (as the AP’s would be in a different group)

Thanks for guide though.

“EDIT FOR XRP”

Found this Wireless Clients Seamless Roaming Best Practices - Products / Enterprise Wi-Fi Networks - Cambium Community (cambiumnetworks.com)