I would like to know about PMP 450i for multiple NLOS SM scenario ?

Can we deploy at least 10 SMs with Non Line of Sight scenario for PMP 450i single sector in dense urban area with narrow streets?  The users want to install their SMs at ground floor or first floor level at those narrow streets.

This is a really hard question to answer. Without more information I'd err on the side of caution. If they're really short hops (less then a mile) you might be able to bounce some signals around obstructions using multipath reflection off of some of the building faces to compensate for 5GHz's poor non-LOS performance.

1 Like

The plan is we would like to replace some existing 802.16e users(heavy usage) in dense unban and urban area. Most of them are located ground floor or first floor height so LOS is not possible. Plesase let me know if you need more info.

If you already have existing links using 802.16e that are working properly I would wager that you should be able to get similar performance using 450i. What bands are you currently using with 802.16e, and are you planning on using 5ghz or 900mhz 450i?

5GHz ! Just concerned about NLOS problem if there are 10 or 15 users(all are NLOS and located dispersedly.

Another thing is interference by other ISP in that area.

Thanks alot for your reply.

As Eric mentions, this is very difficult to predict without knowing a LOT more information regarding actual sites, clutter in the link path, distances, interference levels, etc.

All of that said, however, NLOS in an urban environment does perform fairly well with the 450 and 450i product platform.  It is a 2x2 MIMO product, and dynamically adapts to modulation modes that will provide the optimal throughput to the device given the rf path conditions that are presented in the link.

For typical "urban canyon" deployments, multipath reflections can help to provide adequate signal levels to overcome NLOS conditions (i.e. the signals bounce off neighboring buildings).  There will be no difference to the system, as each link is modulated independently, so it should not matter to the system how many subscribers are being utilized.  The only consideration there is that in a multipoint system, the Access Point or sector capacity is a shared medium, that is you share the overall capacity between all subscribers attached.  Therefore, if many heavy usage subscribers are operating in low modulations, then your overall capacity is lower.

There are many threads in the forum that discuss this "shared media" concept, hope this information helps.