Limit bandwidth on SM

I’ve been trying to control bandwidth using the parameters on the SM under QoS.
Even if I enter a maximum sustained rate of 128kbps, the user continues to download over 1Mbps when we run an internet speed test.
If I change the bursting parameters (on the same SM page) and set it to 128kbps too, then the user maximum download rate is about 64kbps or so.
Any ideas other than using Prizm or BAM?

Thanks,

You need to set the setting on the AP to use the SM as the bandwidth configuration source. If the AP bandwidth config source setting is set to BAM it will disregard what QOS settings you have in SM.

I do have my AP to take bandwidth settings from the SM, but still the parameters on it make little to none effect.

which firmware are you using?

I configure all my speeds via the SM, I haven’t had this problem.

All my gear is running on 8.2.4

what do you have the burst set to?

Is set to the default 50000. If I change it for all to match at 128k, the actual speed goes down to 64-80kbps and the internet navigation is even slower that a 56k dialup.

well 128k isn’t going to be to much faster then 56k. Try setting the speeds at ~170k and she if that doesn’t get you closer to your desired speed.

normally we set the burst to double the sustained rate, that way it looks as if they are receiving a constant sustained rate of the faster speed when doing a speed test but when they actually go to download a file it drops down to the sustained rate.

Burst is not a speed - it’s a value.

The radio will transfer data at the maximum rate of the radio until the burst value is used, then the speed will be whatever the sustained value is.

Set the sustained speed to whatever you want their speed to be if the download a huge file.

Set the burst value to 4000kb up x 8000kb down (.5MB up x 1MB down). This will make web pages load fast and give the feel of a much faster network. If they start a download, they will get 1MB of data @ 1Mbps and then the speed will drop to the sustained rate.

Jerry,

I did what Ryan suggested, making the burst speed twice the sustained rate and it worked.
I set up 256k sustained and 512 bursts. The speed reported was 249k

I’m using speedtest.net. The test is about 5 second long.

If I keep the sustained rate at 256 and say 2048kbs for bursts the speed test shows over a meg download.

I guess is a matter of define how long the transfer needs to be, to be considered either a sustained or a burst transaction.

Felipe.

If you have it working that’s good.

It’s all preference on what you want to deliver. Perhaps you could sell your customers additional burst for another 5 or 10 a month.

That’s an excellent idea!

Thanks everyone for your valuable input in helping me find a solution in less than a day.

Best, :smiley:

Chavex wrote:
Is set to the default 50000. If I change it for all to match at 128k, the actual speed goes down to 64-80kbps and the internet navigation is even slower that a 56k dialup.

Default is 500,000 or ~62.5MB. This means the cust is going to burst until they've downloaded 62.5MB of data. In most cases it's going to be like leaving the SM wide open for light users.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Set the burst value to 4000kb up x 8000kb down (.5MB up x 1MB down). This will make web pages load fast and give the feel of a much faster network. If they start a download, they will get 1MB of data @ 1Mbps and then the speed will drop to the sustained rate.

I was under the impression that you burst to the full capability of the AP until your burst value is used up.

[u:3g2u7xb2]example:[/u:3g2u7xb2] if the AP can pass up to 5Mbit down and you have the downlink burst set to 8000 then the SM could run up to 5Mbit for the first 1MB of data that is downloaded, then it drops to the sustained value.
Burst is not a speed - it's a value.

The radio will transfer data at the maximum rate of the radio until the burst value is used, then the speed will be whatever the sustained value is.

Set the sustained speed to whatever you want their speed to be if the download a huge file.

I understand that which is why I wasn’t sure why you stated “If they start a download, they will get 1MB of data @ 1Mbps and then the speed will drop to the sustained rate.”. If the AP is capable of passing 5Mbit then they will get 1MB of data @ 5Mbit not 1Mbit.

He’s running 900 and only getting 1Mbps max

I was using the 5Mbit figure as an example only. :wink:

900’s are capable of passing ~2Mbit aggregate in 1x and ~4Mbit in 2x, so depending on the AP’s QOS you could easily see 3Mbit down in 2x mode and well over 1Mbit in 1x.

Dude,
Read the whole thread. He said that when he opened the burst all the way he was getting 1M.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Dude,
Read the whole thread. He said that when he opened the burst all the way he was getting 1M.

Dude.....maybe you need to read the entire thread.

Chavex wrote:
If I keep the sustained rate at 256 and say 2048kbs for bursts the speed test shows over a meg download.