Managed gateway options

I am comparing the R200/R201 with cnmaestro with other managed gateway solutions from other vendors.

Can the cnmaestro and R20x provide a customer facing web interface for the customer to make changes to WiFi SSIDs, WPA key, port forwarding, LAN IP info that are automatically backed up so that if we replace the R20x the configuration is restored as it was?  Some customers like to change their own WiFi password when they want to for business or parental control.

Can we apply an IP access control list to the WAN interface of the R20x so that the entire Internet does not have access to the WAN interface for (HTTP/HTTPS management, SNMP, SSH, telnet, and other management services) ?  In our other managed CPE we limit it to our support and server IP networks to limit the attack surface for undiscovered vulnerabilities.

What is the expected lifecycle for the R20x platform?  How long does Cambium expect the hardware to last or be manufactured?  How long does Camblum plan to provide software updates for the R20x devices?  I want to plan how often we should plan to replace the router due to end of life type issues.  If a new software vulnerability is found...how long should we expect Cambium to provide patches?

Is there a way to get IP traffic accounting on the LAN side to know which devices are using the most upload or download?  If a customer reports slow speed it would be important to identify which LAN devices are consuming the bandwidth.

Is the device reset button is pressed will this cause the device to need attention before it will be cnmaestro managed again?  I would hope if the reset is pressed the device would boot, check in with cnmaestro, get its config, apply the config and reboot to get back to where it was.   

Is there a way to manually or schedule a speed test to run to verify what the customer's connection is capable of providing?  I would want a way to gather this data automatically and stagger the speed tests...as I would not want to see 1000 CPE all trying to hit the speed test server at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any helps or replies.

1 Like

@eoniwireless wrote:

I am comparing the R200/R201 with cnmaestro with other managed gateway solutions from other vendors.

Can the cnmaestro and R20x provide a customer facing web interface for the customer to make changes to WiFi SSIDs, WPA key, port forwarding, LAN IP info that are automatically backed up so that if we replace the R20x the configuration is restored as it was?  Some customers like to change their own WiFi password when they want to for business or parental control.

Can we apply an IP access control list to the WAN interface of the R20x so that the entire Internet does not have access to the WAN interface for (HTTP/HTTPS management, SNMP, SSH, telnet, and other management services) ?  In our other managed CPE we limit it to our support and server IP networks to limit the attack surface for undiscovered vulnerabilities.

What is the expected lifecycle for the R20x platform?  How long does Cambium expect the hardware to last or be manufactured?  How long does Camblum plan to provide software updates for the R20x devices?  I want to plan how often we should plan to replace the router due to end of life type issues.  If a new software vulnerability is found...how long should we expect Cambium to provide patches?

Is there a way to get IP traffic accounting on the LAN side to know which devices are using the most upload or download?  If a customer reports slow speed it would be important to identify which LAN devices are consuming the bandwidth.

Is the device reset button is pressed will this cause the device to need attention before it will be cnmaestro managed again?  I would hope if the reset is pressed the device would boot, check in with cnmaestro, get its config, apply the config and reboot to get back to where it was.   

Is there a way to manually or schedule a speed test to run to verify what the customer's connection is capable of providing?  I would want a way to gather this data automatically and stagger the speed tests...as I would not want to see 1000 CPE all trying to hit the speed test server at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any helps or replies.

the R201 does support multiple user levels, with different access privileges for each level. they are described here:

http://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t5/cnPilot-R-series-R201-R201P/Different-user-types-Admin-Normal-and-Basic/m-p/51581#U51581

In the Administration config tab there is a section called "Web Access' that can be used to customize access to teh web interface from the WAN side (enable/disable, change the port, limit it to certain IPs etc)

the R201 is being actively manufactured and supported. For software vulnerabilities fixes are rolled out as soon as possible based on the severity of the issue.

LAN device tx/rx statistics are  currently not collected and not reported into cnMaestro, however that is part of our roadmap.

if the device is reset to factory default, it will still be able to connec to cnMaestro (out of the box the R201 will look for a DHCP IP on its WAN port, and attempt a conneciton to cloud.cambiumnetworks.com). If the device was preiovusly onboarded into your account (your account has the serial number of the device) it will show up in your cloud account again.

Speedtest from the device is currnetly not supported. it is a featrue we are considering on cnmaestro. Good poitn on staggering them whenever this support is added.

1 Like