Management VLAN ID and End Device VLAN ID

Hello everyone,

I am totally new in this PMP setup.

I have PMP 450i device.

All i am trying to do and know is if i give management vlan id let say vlan 100 to AP and SM. And if i connect one laptop at SM port am i able to get different vlan in my laptop? let say vlan id 101?

Is it possible? For the reference i have attached the diagram.

Please assist.

Thanks.
Regards,
shrijan

First of all please add vlan 100 and vlan 101 to the ethernet than please add proper VLAN to WLAN config :slight_smile:
Make default vlan for internet 101.
Thats all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Pshemo,

Thank you for the reply.

Since i am totally new. I am a bit confused.

are you saying to add vlan 100 and vlan 101 in hardened switch? like in below picture:
vlan added
and about proper VLAN to WLAN config also it was not clear to me… where i could find that option?
If you could provide me screenshot or steps to follow then it will be a bit easier for me to understand…
Thanks.
Regards,
shrijan

Step #1
Go to AP Group - setup VLAN Config

Step #2
Again in AP Group setting - add VLAN config

Step #3
WLAN setting - set VLAN for the SSID

Thats all

1 Like

Hi Pshemo,

Thank you for the screen shots…

Looks the PMP i am using and the one you have sent is different…

or have missed something??

please let me know if you require more info…

thank you once again…

regards,
shrijan

Oooops
I don’t have access to PMP at the moment :frowning:
Look for VLAN options on AP and SM (add vlan 100,101) - allow tagged VLANs to be sent over the radio.
On SM set to ethernet VLAN 101

I don’t know about the screens and devices that you’re using Pshemo. That doesn’t look like PMP450i.
We do the following with our PMP450i…

On the AP VLAN tab…
Select VLAN “Enabled”
Add VLANs you need in the VLAN Membership Configuration section.
OR you can select Dynamic Learning “Enabled”, in which case you shouldn’t need to explicitly enter the VLANs.
And of course, enter the Management VID (100) that you are using for management.

On the VLAN tab of the SM…
Enter the Management VID. (100)
The SM Ethernet interface will not have VLANs enabled until it connects and registers with the AP.
If you are using VLAN 101 for payload / traffic, enter 101 as the Default Port VID. This will let your laptop communicate on VLAN 101, without your laptop needing to do any tagging. If you are connecting the SM to a switch, with tagging enabled on the Ethernet interface of the switch, you would not need to use a Default Port VID.

After the SM is registered, if you need local access to SM configuration you will need a laptop that allows VLANS to be configured on the laptops Ethernet interface.
OR
You can access the SM configuration locally using 169.254.1.1, assuming that you have Default Alternative LAN1 IP Address “Enabled” on the IP Tab.

2 Likes

Hi Dworkman,

Thank you for detailed steps.

I will definitely try today and let you know…

Thank You.

Regards,
shrijan

1 Like

Hi Dworkman,

Unfortunately it did not work…

As soon as i enabled vlan, AP does not handshake with SM let say.

Pls find the attachments for the reference for the values that i have changed in AP and SM according to you… Let me know if i missed somewhere… i have attached the diagram for the physical topology as well…

Status of AP and SM.docx (687.8 KB)

Thanks.
regards,
shrijan

Hi shrijan
What do you mean when you say the AP does not handshake with the SM? Did the SM Register with the AP?
I didn’t say anything about IPs in my previous post…
AP, SM and your laptop will all need to be configured with IPs on the same subnet and connected on VLAN 100.
Obviously your switch will need to be configured so that it’s compatible. I’m not a Cisco switch guy but I would have expected to see something showing VLAN 100 on the trunk between the switch and the AP.
Don

Hi Dworkman,

what i am trying to do is AP and SM in one separate vlan let say 100 and through SM if the laptop is connected then on that Laptop another vlan let say 23 or vlan 101. Is it possible?

Also as soon as i enabled Vlan in AP it does not register with SM by following your previous instructions. Anywhere i have missed the config. Pls let me know…

Thanks.

Regards,
shrijan

Hi Dworkman,

It worked finally… some how the SM went to local ( i dont know why) that’s why SM was not registering with AP. Once i put in Public, it started working.

Many Thanks.

Regards,
shrijan

Glad to hear it is working. Good catch to make the change from Local to Public. I’ll include a note about this if I provide any advice in the future. Public is our default config but occasionally I get caught when a device is somehow set to Local.
Don

Hi Don,

I dont know if my 3rd case will support or not:

As per your advice following things were done:

On the AP VLAN tab…
Select VLAN “Enabled” - Done
you can select Dynamic Learning “Enabled”, in which case you shouldn’t need to explicitly enter the VLANs. Done
And of course, enter the Management VID (100) that you are using for management. - Done

On the VLAN tab of the SM…
Enter the Management VID. (100) - Done
Dynamic Learning “Enabled” - Done
enter 101 as the Default Port VID. Done.

This works perfectly with case 1 and case 2 but not in case 3. So i am wondering if the case 3rd is possible or not?

Thanks.

Shrijan

For data is SM 1 &2 using same VLAN? May be in SM 2 in case 3 was giving you tagged vlan?

hmm somehow it is working now…

let me observe for few more days…