Online Training

That would be absolutely great!

hi’
this will be one of my happiest day since i had already to with you, jerry, about this before especially about VLAN and the google earth +RM

Yes, Jerry, i would be in favor of that. I don’t know if in the interest of lowering bandwidth use if pictures and text would be better than blurry video. I can pick up a lot more from a good explanation than moving pictures.
I have gotten shoved into this arena without much explanation, and have been playing catchup for months. Callbacks are eating into my profit margin, bad feelings about lack of internet from customers, that kind of thing. The better, quicker and more reliable i can make these connections, the happier i will be.
I mainly work with 900 MHz radios because of tree problems, NLOS issues, etc. Knowing when that -80 dB signal is acceptable, and how to get those radios with -50 dB signals from frequent re-registering would really help. (And yes, i now link-test all my connections before finishing up the installation.)

jerry any training would be nice and i would love to see if works out

Google will be setting up a Pay-Per-View service. We will try to have the video ready for that release.

What is it worth to you to be able to sit a new installer down and have him watch a 60 minute video on how to install a radio by himself?

Other possible videos:
Setting up a DSL Router
Troubleshooting a bad link
Installing a cluster and CMM

Any others?

CanopyCon 2008! =O

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Google will be setting up a Pay-Per-View service. We will try to have the video ready for that release.

What is it worth to you to be able to sit a new installer down and have him watch a 60 minute video on how to install a radio by himself?

Other possible videos:
Setting up a DSL Router
Troubleshooting a bad link
Installing a cluster and CMM

Any others?

Thanks Jerry for this initiative.

I'd personally be happy to pay around $50-100 per session for my installers.

As for content, provisioning and setting up\' of subscribers on Prizm/BAM, site survey considerations to name but two.

regards

Sam

jerry just let me know when you get it up and running

What about a weekly/monthly/bimonthly podcast of sorts also? A collection possibly or a call-in Q&A from field technicians etc. where “new to the motorola” techs can call in live and have a Q&A?

just a thought…

I watch Leo Laporte/Gibson for “TWiT” and “Security Now” weekly…

We don’t really have the time to do this monthly, etc. We are going to do the videos for our internal use and make them available.

For my installers I want them to be able to set up a router including opening ports for services, install a radio, troubleshoot connectivity issues, understand an AP, CMM and the significance of timing.

I think I will also want them to understand basic networking and IP addressing, the difference between a switch and a hub, basic firewall setups, etc.

We’ll start with a high quality, thorough installation video that shows how one guy can do an install by himself in under 3 hours including setup of the customer’s router.

Definatly interested… will keep track of progress, thanks Jerry!!!

count me is

Great, you are all interested but only one answered the questions I asked…

what would you pay?

I am talking to the powers that be for that answer, however, I don’t think they would balk at $50 to $100 per seat to get the techs up to speed… will let you know if they have other ideas tomorrow…

Peace,

CM

This would be great, count me in

Jay Sallee
Valliant Telephone Co
sallee@valliant.net

cool…

But what would you pay? I need to decide the production quality.

I’d pay whatever is necessary…I’m thinking, reasonably, around $200.00. Is this a one time viewing, or a local copy can be saved? Option to buy DVD/BluRay? =)

Scenario 1
=======
Installers: 2
Jobs: 1
Hourly Rate: 33/hr (covers both)
Total Time Completed: 8 man hours (4 hours at site x 2 installers)
Total Paid Out: 264.00
Total Charged Customer: 100.00
Net Gain/Loss: -164

Frequency of this happening: 1:5 installs
Average Installs/month: 20
Average Loss based on Frequency: 4*164 = $656.00

Nothing like losing money every month due to training or lack thereof…

This is just an example situation, and I’m sure it’s happened to more than one person on this forum, and may even continue to happen to this day…

After paying XX amount of dollars to watch a video to help train the installers even more (including tips,tricks,methods) and watching the ratio go from 1:5 to 1:15, priceless.

It’s worth it to me…any little bit helps.

Seems content and such is an issue… ??? “is it something a tech can sit down too and get an all around review… or is it something that will cover one issue in one sitting, another issue or subject in another sitting” ???.. what will be the information covered per session for the price?

Install video will include:

Single installer installation from truck roll to truck roll.

Site assessment of antenna position (what to look for in a good mounting point, potential obstructions, etc)
    Quick test to determine link viability (eliminate wasted time installing a link that will not work)
    Cable run (run outside the structure)
    Cable termination - 568B (quick and reliable method)
    Radio configuration NAT and Bridge (assuming no Prism)
    Router or PC TCP/IP configuration
    Final testing
    Final check prior to leaving

This will be on a pay-per-view basis. I’m thinking we will also create an installation guide that goes with it that you can purchase and the installer can take notes while watching the video.

I believe there are very few circumstances where an install needs two guys and should take more than 3 hours. My installer can do 4 in a day under the right circumstances, but 3 is the norm with no go-backs.

We will start working on this pretty soon, won’t take long to make it. Once Google starts the PPV service (or I find another PPV delivery system) it will be up.

i like the idea of the online traning but i would disagree with the one person install.we have found that trying to balance a laptop and a 10’ roof mount is a bit tedious to say the least,not to mention quite dangerous on a roof thats not almost flat.with two people,one to read the laptop and one to align the antenae its a much better and safer install.