Question about ePMP2000 client data and test results

Please see the screen snippit of the ap wireless stats.   It appears that the BFA info is referencing a vertical and horizontal direction to the clients.  I am also making the assumption that the negative V would be down, positive V up, negative H left and positive H right of the current straight forward heading of the AP.

An example...    AP heading due north, 0 degrees.  BFA data reports V -10   H -10  would actually mean that vertically the client is 10 degrees down tilt and 10 degrees to the left (or 350deg).   If this correct?  If so, can you explain how its reading customers 30 degrees uptilt from an AP mounted level 300ft up on a tower and the customer is 20ft off the ground?    Also, our first test results are no improved upload which is what we really needed.  Download is faster through?  lol backwards!!!  yikes.  See results below.

Captureepmp2000.JPG

1 Like

And here is system info since it will be asked....

epmp2000sysinfo.JPG

1 Like

What firmware rev are you using on the AP and all SM's?

Same as it shows in the post above yours.

So you're using 3.0RC27 on the AP, are you using that on all the SM's as well?

yes

Hi Carullos,

Could you please let me know what SM Hardware type is used?

I can assume you are using 15 dBi or 17 dBi Sector Antenna.

UL RSSI looks much worse than DL. The difference is -8-21dBm.

Seems to be Subscriber Module Target Receive Level is configured to -60 dBm on your AP.

I would like to recommend you to increase it to -50 dBm or even -40 dBm if you don't use Frequency Reuse on this tower.

Thank you.

Hello,

Here are the client types - they are CONN for eMPM 1000 connectorized radios on two foot rocket dish, Force 180 or Force 200 clients.

The ePMP1000 sectors were 120 deg and the new ePMP2000 APs are the new sectors 90/120 with the BFA attached.  I am wondering if we should not keep the original antenna I feel it may work better and then just attach BFA to tower leg.  Your thoughts?  Yes client RX level set to 60 on AP I will make -40 and display results.

@Fedor - I have one more question on your email.

Seems to be Subscriber Module Target Receive Level is configured to -60 dBm on your AP.

I would like to recommend you to increase it to -50 dBm or even -40 dBm if you don't use Frequency Reuse on this tower.

When you look at the client signals only one is -60 so based on my understanding its the ONLY SM that could have been power lowered due to target RX signal at AP correct?  

Carullos,

Could you also provide photos of base station, because it's not clear to me why DL RSSIs for second SM are -52/-69 DL/UL. Diference in DL and UL is to much.

It can be deployment related issue. Please Note new Sector Antenna and old Sector Antenna have different Antenna Patterns.

Please find Spec Sheet for new Sector Antenna:

http://www.cambiumnetworks.com/resources/epmp-sector-antenna/

Thank you.

When you look at the client signals only one is -60 so based on my understanding its the ONLY SM that could have been power lowered due to target RX signal at AP correct?  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Yes, correct.
But when I look at the clients signals at least 6 SMs has UL RSSI in range (-59 - -62 dBm) and all of them could have been power lowered because of ATPC.

Thank you.

AP TX power set to 29dBm (they didn't know new sector gain so set to zero) so that needs to be corrected we configured wrong.  So take that into account when loking at the difference in RX signals.

@Fedor

Based on incorrect higher TX of AP that makes up the difference you were concerned over right?

Carullos,

Let's summarize what we have now:

From last yours screenshot:

- 3 SMs have Tx Power limited by ATPC;

- 6 other SMs has very low UL RSSI on Maximum Tx Power. (What is the reason?)

- 4 SMs are using Sector Antenna in UL (It seems they are located on the edges of sector and Sector Antenna has better performance for them).

Could you please clarify what ratio is used now in TDD mode?

Thank you.

Hello all,

i found 1 question that not yet officially answerred,

" BFA data reports V -10   H -10  would actually mean that vertically the client is 10 degrees down tilt and 10 degrees to the left (or 350deg).   If this correct? "

is that correct ? if it doesn't how to read that antenna selected on ePMP2000?

Hi Hendra-Nusanet,

BFA data reports V -10   H -10  would actually mean that vertically the client is 10 degrees down tilt and 10 degrees to the left (or 350deg).   If this correct? 

It is not correct.

Antenna selected column just provide information which Antenna is selected (Sector or Smart Antenna for UL).

V - means Vertical polarization,

H- means Horizontal polarization,

degrees - means approximate azimuth values which are selected to get the best UL performance.

Thank you.

@Fedor

Please interpret what you see with the following BFA info

(notice first line contains non-negative degrees and second line is negative degrees):

I interpret:

* Beamforming antenna, V pol comming from azimut 30, H pol comming from azimut 26.

* Beamforming antenna, V pol comming from azimut -35, H pol comming from azimut -32.

Because multipath and propagation issues, the AP sees different polarizations as coming from slighty different azimuts for each pol, and the antenna just adjusts itself to this fact.

That's why you are seeing almost the same azimut on H and V, but not the same: this just means the antenna it's working nicely.

@Fedor: For the sake of curiosity, is the beamforming of these antennas just carried out at azimut? That would make a lot of sense to me. Regards!

1 Like

Thank you, Daniel.

You are absolutely right in your interpretation.

And, yes Smart Antenna is foused to perform beamforming at azimuth.

Thank you.

We also have some questions we swapped out an EPMP 1000 GPS AP mode 120 Sector with new Epmp 2000 with BSA and new antenna.

Orginal frq in use on old setup was 5220.

Upon switching to NEW Epmp 2000 we used SAME exact freq same UL/DL ratio power etc.

We had orginally 60 active CPE connected, when we intialized the 2000 unit we had 4 subscribers connet and NO MORE!!! upon inviestigating these customers were 1 mile or less from the tower and had gone from -65 aprox to -56 to -55 in RSSI at the CPE great improvement but no one else would connect. We tried up tilt down tilt everythign on the new scetor with same results. After the 2nd day we were going to take it down and give up. No other CPE would even see the new antenna but would see the other 3 antennas on the tower on varios freq including another antenna in 5190 range but not the new one on 5220 whihc at least if the signal was low should see it but maybe not connect to it.

Why would the users more then a mile out not connect? or even see the new antenna after reboots and firmware upgrades? YES we had MAX distance set to 13 miles on AP. We tried every freq in 5.2 ghz range. (FYI we also tried letting th AP CHOOSE the best channel and it choose 5215) Finally at the last minute we manually set the AP to 5770, within seconds 60% of all users connected!

Why would this be? we had firmware 3.0RC 27? and also switched to 3.0 on the AP and several of the CPE with no succes until we went to 5.7 freq which based on the spectrum analysys and our freq coordination are the WORST channels to be on?

We still have about 4-5 users who wont stay connected for whatever reason even though they pop in on the AP and show GREAT signal but then drop off?

We also notice thruput on some CPE to be great up and down and more consistant and others the download is worse and the upload is also not as good?

Also to avoid confusion and clarify for my own sake, when logged into the AP and looking at CPE stats, RSSI Downlink means what? down to the CPE or FROM The CPE? same with uplink?

I interpret RSSI downlink is signal from AP to CPE and uplink is signal from CPE to AP?