Release 8 Release Notes

Does anyone know the location of the Release 8 (pre?) Release Notes?

What is the anticipated release date for Release 8?

According the Canopy web-inar thingy held recently, 8.0 will be released later this month (next week).

Thanks Andrew.

According to the April web-inar thingy, the release notes were supposed to be posted on the site somewhere. I checked the software download area, but the latest release notes there are 7.3.6. A search of the rest of the site turns up pleny of references, but not the notes themselves.

Motorola is just finishing beta testing so they may be waiting for final tweaks to be done before posting the final release notes.

Aaron

transact wrote:
According to the April web-inar thingy, the release notes were supposed to be posted on the site somewhere.

I don't remember "them" saying that the release notes for 8.0 would be released before the firmware. But I was not paying very close attention :oops: , so who knows.

Thanks Gents,

Maybe Moto were just checking to see if anyone was awake out there…:-))

We are really eager to know what will the new features in release 8.

Actually, during the April Webinar the marketing person Ray Savige said that the Release Notes for 8.0 were already available on the web site. And, that the Rel. 8.0 software would be available the week of April 24th on the website. :?

The Canopy dev team does not have the best track record when it comes to making release target dates. So I’m just sitting back and waiting…

I think they have learned it’s better not to rush an update and have WISPs crashing all over the world. They will release it when it’s ready and I am fine with that.

As long as my customers are happy, I’m happy. :smiley:

when they are unhappy, I get cranky :x

Jerry Richardson wrote:

As long as my customers are happy, I'm happy. :D

I'll drink to that!

My Canopy deployment is purring like a kitten. Customers are happy => I'm happy.

A new GUI would certainly be cool, but I am in no rush.
ahull wrote:
[quote="Jerry Richardson":2mm949bb]
As long as my customers are happy, I'm happy. :D

I'll drink to that!

My Canopy deployment is purring like a kitten. Customers are happy => I'm happy.

A new GUI would certainly be cool, but I am in no rush.[/quote:2mm949bb]

I guess I am just a little spoiled. I spent 19 years working for a large corp, and our vendors (incl. Motorola's microprocessor division) would give accurate information. I guess our accounts aren't large enough.
Jerry Richardson wrote:

I guess I am just a little spoiled. I spent 19 years working for a large corp, and our vendors (incl. Motorola's microprocessor division) would give accurate information. I guess our accounts aren't large enough.

Yep. Motorola doesn't really seem to give a damn about smaller accounts or their perception in the marketplace. Or this product line... given the long-standing issues they have with NAT and co-location of hardware scheduled backhauls.

If you are so dissatisfied with Canopy, why do you use it?

Jerry Richardson wrote:
If you are so dissatisfied with Canopy, why do you use it?

Existing investments. That's the only reason. What amazes me is that more here are not so aggravated, but that's probably because many aren't owners/operators.

Maybe WISPs just accept mediocre software.

I sense a flame war a-brewing…

Duck and cover!

No, I understand Shaman’s point. I’m not having issues with backhauls, I suppose if we were I’d be frustrated too. With any luck, 8.0 will fix that and my pal Shaman will be a happier guy.

Personally I am amazed at how well the equipment works, and I have had nothing but excellent support from Moto. If a problem is too difficult to deal with here or I need an answer fast I call support and get help.

Regarding software:
4.2 sucked
6.1 was marginally better
7.3.6 is pretty decent
8.0? who knows, I image it’s going to be better.

we have very very few problems with our network.

if they do get a new GUI i would love to see when some of my clients go idle it only shows there mac address i wish it would show there ip there also since i cannot see there name.

and 1 more thing i wish i could o out the rereg count per subscriber in the gui without have to telnet in and reset the whole ap.

i know these request are not that important but i have a bad habbit of logging in over and over worried i am gonna see someone with to many reregisters and i seem to spend a lot of time looking up info on that mac address and stuff i guess its stupid but i just want my network to be flawless i guess.

kmeadows

Jerry Richardson wrote:

we have very very few problems with our network.

This is good to hear, because I'm petrified about getting our network set up. However, our equipment is advantage and upgradable to 7.3.6 so I guess I don't have too much to worry about. Then again....configuration is key is making this network work, isn't it :?

Would you say that 90% of the problems listed in this forum are due to misconfiguration?

Sorry, I realize we're getting a tad off topic.
Jerry Richardson wrote:
No, I understand Shaman's point.

And to an extent, I do too. Many of the longstanding issues Canopy has had do not affect me. I don't use NAT in the SMs, and in deploying 900 only all my equipment is Advantage HWS.

If I were not so impressed at how well this platform has performed, I would be quicker to complain. Life before HWS was fixed was indeed interesting, but that is one blemish on an otherwise stellar experience.

This forum as done much to bolster my overall opinion too. I've been sharing thoughts and ideas with Jerry and the other "old timers" for going on two years now. I would not know what I do now without this community.

How can I bring these ramblings to some kind of a conculsion? I guess I'm just glad to be here, doing what I'm doing.