SFP for ePMP3000

Hi,

I would like to use the SFP port of ePMP3000 but I can´t see any documentation or ordering guide where we can find the part numbers for these modules. Could be the same we use for PTP550?

In the kit of PTP550 we can find the SFP and the cable gland. Do you now if the gland is incuided by default in the box of ePMP3000?

Regards.

1 Like

I bought some 10Gtek gigabit SFP fiber adapters off Amazon for $14us, just converted a cluster of ePMP 3000 APs last week feeding into an 8-SFP+-port Mikrotik CRS309 switch, using the same modules in all.  Also use them in PTP820s backhauls.  So far all are performing flawlessly.

10Gtek SFP interfaces @Amazon 

Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN switch @Amazon 

j

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

What are you using as gland? Do you know if it´s included when you bought the ePMP3000?

No gland, SFP socket is inside the compartment under the cover at the bottom of the AP, just like ethernet and GPS and H/V connectors for second antenna.

j

If you've not actually worked with the ePMP3000 yet, take a look at the photo at the top of this thread:  ePMP-3000-Beamform-connection-clarification the SFP socket has a rubber plug preinstalled, and there's a (not in picture) cover that fill out the boxy shape when closed.

j

Hi,

You can use any third party SFP module so there is no need to order a specific one from Cambium although Cambium ones were tested for compatibility.

You might need a different gland only for some copper SFP modules that are longer than usual fiber GBICs. With the regular fiber SFP regular rubber gland will be enough.

Thanks,

Dmitry

Hi dmitry,

Do we need any license if we use 3rd party SFP with PTP550E

Hello @sajid_Khan,

there is no need for license.

on our e3k AP’s we have used Cisco, Linksys, HP, Flexnet and Dell sfp-gbics without issues, we even accidentally plugged in a FC gbic and it was sort of working though we swapped it out for the correct type once we figured out why the switch was complaining about the gbics.

The only thing I suggest is get gbics that are 10Gbps multi-speed, so that you can plug them in to what ever they need to be rather than forcing yourself into using sfp ports that are not actually needed, example: tall tower but low SM population usually does not need 10Gbps at the AP but 1Gbps or 2.5Gbps (if Cambium ever allows this rate) is usually more than enough and you save on the switch not needing to have 10Gbps sfp ports. But this is just my opinion.

Do wish the AP would tell us what the gbic tx power currently is and what the gbic rx levels are. This is handy when you have a cable issue or a wrong distance gbic installed (why use a 100km or 10km gbic and draw a lot of power when a 1km gbic does 99.99999% of towers just fine!) and are either under-driving or over-driving the receiver on the other end.