Smart QoS and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) feature

I’m really just interested in the cost… I’ll buy some licenses just for testing / trouble shooting /evaluation but mostly I’m just really wanting to know what it’s going to cost since it will probably end up being required.

Customer " All my customers trying to use VOIP are having a lot of drops / latency issues"
Cambium Support " Oh You’re doing V O I P ? well you need to purchase our $mart QOS license !"
Customer “But… this use to work , it worked for years before the $mart QOS solution existed !?”
Cambium Support " Oh ok well then I guess send us the TS file"
Customer “Ok sent it”
Cambium Support " Yep just as we thought, you need to purchase the $mart QOS license !"

Waiting anxiously for the “Extreme $uper Actually works $prectum Analyzer and AP scanner tool license !” Only $1 each time you use it ! ALSO ! EXTRA EXCITING ! To make this per use charge SUPER DUPER EASY and CONVENIENT ! We are installing a *CC card reader on the **radios so you can just scadoodle up those towers or hop over to the customer’s house and swipe the card right there on the radio ! Super convenient ! NOTE: Will require you have CNMeastro XL$ (only 27 easy payments of %50 of your company’s gross income for a 1 year license !)

Maybe someday “Amazing $uper Usable GUI tool license” will be released with addons/plugins like " $uper Easy to read and actually useful Bandwidth graph license" only $1 per month per radio !

Then another plugin like " Add Frame Time to $uper Easy to read Bandwidth Graph license" No more opening two windows to see bandwidth vs frame time ! Only an additional $1 per month per user…

“Change useless Performance tab Total Kilobits to actually useful Mbps !” 3 easy payments of $9.99 per AP per year !

*Credit Card reader will have a chip reader that doesn’t work so you will be required to insert the card 3 times (even if your card doesn’t have a chip), reboot the radio and then swipe the card.

** Credit Card reader does not come with radio, radio sold separately.

6 Likes

Thank You for great ideas for our sales dept!
I think we will have built-in paypass reader in our new E4K and E6K. Will it work for your convenience?

Actually pay for feature schema is something similar to low cost airlines when you don’t pay for unneeded features like luggage or on board meals. We try to make our products more affordable and decreasing the price for basic configuration. So our lovely customer does not have to pay for bunch of features he will never use.

1 Like

where is the processor capacity coming from for this?

Does cambium have any idea how hard and how incredibly frustrating it is when you are trying to troubleshoot customers issues and the information provided on the user interface is almost completely useless ? Any idea how angry it makes your customers when, after YEARS, they still can’t depend on the radio’s UI to reliably tell them something as simple as “Is the Ethernet interface up or down ?”

I mean, that’s not even counting that even if the information was reliable Cambium seems bizarrely incapable or unwilling to display the information we need in a way that is actually useful. But even if you did, nothing on this interface can be taken at face value. Not the Interface up/down status, not the MCS, not the Quality, not the Capacity, not the IP addresses displayed for the various interfaces, nothing on the performance page, NOTHING is reliable .

For YEARS now the SA has been a crashing, buggy, complete crapshoot that just like the rest of the Interface, you have no way of knowing and no reason to believe, that anything it is showing you is even close to accurate.

So when Cambium finds the time and resources to come out with a function for the radios that they charge extra for while not fixing the functions we have already been paying for for YEARS. Sarcasm is really the only possible reaction…

3 Likes

And then Cambium responds with flippant jokes… not even realizing the real seething frustration of their clients.

1 Like

Back on track here, for a feature no other ePMP competitors are doing and that I think will be a great value add license, how can we reach out for beta testing and to receive details on when this launches in stable release? Distributors don’t know about it yet as I’ve tried them all.

To get beta FW you have to register on support portal and join beta program. Simply push the button and accept beta usage terms.
Stable release terms are flexible. As soon as it becomes stable enough.

Please see this post for links to join the Beta program:

And how much will it cost approximately (maximum number of clients for AP) or will it be sold by the number of clients as for elevate?
For example in the US and EU-Germany?
Greeting

No. It will be a single license for AP. SM does not need a license.

Hi all,

I’d like to pay your attention that the initial article has been updated.
In order with the latest business model, the Smart QoS license is a per year subscription, not the perpetual license.

Thank you.

1 Like

Why is that so?
Regards

So I buy the license, my equipment runs the software, besides a feature enablement what is the benefit to this model? Do you provide some sort of profile update separate of the DPI? what makes you think that a subscription would be a good idea?

Guys, paying to enable a feature is standard, but requiring a subscription to enable it is not. This is how UBNT was able to sneak in on Canopy’s market. WISPS run on tightly controlled budgets, subscriptions that do not have a tangible value do not make sense. We already pay a premium for the hardware.

2 Likes

Clearer and clearer that I made a mistake, and trusted that Cambium had changed. Ridiculous.

2 Likes

So just for clarification… the recurring DPI license is just for the AP and for creating QoE flows right? AP DPI monitoring will still be free, and DPI QOE flows and monitoring will still be free on the SM right?

If that’s the case, I think a recurring charge is reasonable as the DPI definitions need to be upgraded pretty regularly, this takes time/money on Cambium’s side to track, test and implement and push out to the radios. Every other provider of regularly updated DPI appliances/service (SandVine, Procera, etc) have charged for this.

Cambium has a business policy, give me money and give me more money, and you are free to die.
Die while you’re struggling with the world’s most expensive hardware, die while trying to fix cambium hardware and software bugs
What should I give money for and what should I implement those DPI licenses for? Yes, I expect that some Force 300 will deliver over 1000 mbps in the air, and the LAN will mostly go to 100 mbps and ask for a voltage reset to recover. Fix it (License for lan 1000 mbps guaranteed) charge that repair on an annual basis will be cheaper for me than I am wasting time now.
Many force 300-25 leak water into the device and whether the device will last one year at all (you may be aware of that, so you have limited it to a year not to buy a license that cannot be used unnecessarily). Force 300 CSM composed as if the children were playing, I have already published on another topic, on that hardware you are looking for more money for licenses that may work if the lucky one got a bit well composed.
I bought Cambium equipment with faith in a fair relationship, what I pay and get.
But unfortunately the relationship was, in my experience, one-sided in favor of Cambium.
Greeting

As a non perpetual service this makes little to no sense.
I was looking into trying this out but won’t bother now.

3 Likes

So for a typical AP with 20 SMs, does this work out cheaper than Preseem?

I don’t understand Cambium’s logic on this (and CNmaestro X), this nickel and diming makes me question why I’m migrating from Ubiquti and spending twice as much per SU.

2 Likes

You can’t compare ePMP3000 to a low cost airline when Ubiquiti and Mikrotik are charging Ryanair prices :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.