Smart QoS and Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) feature

In software release 4.7 Cambium introduces Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) feature. This feature is the extension for ePMP Smart QoS feature. DPI can be enabled on AP and SM. So Smart QoS can be set on an application type basis. The feature will be supported by AC series radios: PTP550, ePMP3000, ePMP 3000L, ePMP Force 300-13/16/19/19R/25/CSM except L-indexed radios. It will be absent in CnVision and N series radios.

Deep Packet Inspection is an advanced method which provides a robust mechanism for executing network packet inspection and prioritizing. It is able to examine the full contents of packets as they pass through Cambium Access Point (AP) and Subscriber Module (SM). Then it takes actions immediately according to priority settings. The main aim is to make user critical applications traffic to be transmitted with priority without the need to mark application traffic at network edges. It allows achieving a high output by the ability of DPI technology to classify all traffic by priorities, providing wider bandwidth to certain applications. Availability and high quality of service are the main indicators of the provider’s performance. Such problems as slow pages’ downloads and stuttering sound during video calls are very annoying for users. These issues can be improved by managing QoS with the DPI function.

Station in AP and SM mode manages priority of traffic flow to be transmitted over the wireless interface. Deep Packet Inspection works with the Traffic Priority function simultaneously. Packet scheduler processes DPI Traffic Priority rules before Traffic Priority rules. DPI priority rules should be configured on AP and SM for bi-directional priority.

License key is required for AP only and the feature can be enabled without License Key on SMs. A license key can be obtained on Cambium Networks web site with entitlement purchased from a local distributor. The license is per year. It uses the same mechanism as licensing to unlock a country in ETSI region or to get unlimited elevated radios connection.

GUI > Tools > License management

STA does not need a license that unlocks DPI usage. It is available by default.

Configuration > Network > Deep Packet Inspection

Then save configuration. Now it is available to observe users traffic statistics by used applications in Monitor > DPI section.
Traffic statistics can be represented as “Aggregated Applications Traffic” for each application group and “Overall applications usage” for each application . Both views are shown on screenshots below. Also graphical donut can be switched to show downlink or uplink statistics.

GUI > Monitor > DPI

To configure priority go to Configuration > Quality of Service. Set DPI Traffic Priority Enabled and configure priority rules.

GUI > Configuration > Quality of Service

Current screenshot represents configured rules for applications and applications groups with different priorities.

Quality of Service > DPI Traffic Priority > Attributes

Attribute Value Description
Smart QoS Feature State Locked No valid license applied
Unlocked Valid license is applied, and feature is unlocked
DPI Traffic Priority Disabled Modifications to the DPI Traffic Priority are not allowed and rules are not enforced.
Enabled Modifications to the DPI Traffic Priority are allowed and rules are enforced.
Type Application group The rule applies traffic priority to all applications in the group.
Application the rule applies to a single application.
Target ID - Defines the application group name or the name of the single application.
Priority Low lowest traffic priority
High high traffic priority
Voice the highest priority for the most critical applications

By default, all traffic passed over the air interface is low priority. The rules included in the table are enforced starting with the first row of the table.
DPI traffic priority rules are processed before traffic priority rules based on CoS and DSCP.

Each classification increases CPU utilization and may lead to system performance degradation. Careful network traffic planning is required to efficiently use the device processor.

DPI feature provides traffic inspection statistics independent of whether traffic priority is enabled or not. So administrator can examine all applications traffic and not only prioritized one.

The table below describes applications in each application group. The list of applications will be extended in next software releases.

Application group Applications in group
Gaming BrownFarm, Baidu Youxi, Battle.net, Battlefield (video game series), Black Desert, Heroes of the Storm, Clash Royale, Call of Duty, Counter Strike Online, Diablo 3, Dota 2, EA Games, Microsoft Forza series, Garena, League of Legends, Lequ Game, Minecraft, sdo.com, StarCraft II, Steam, Team Fortress2, Boom Beach, Wargaming.net , Hay Day, World of Tanks, World of Warcraft, World of Warplanes, XBOX Live, PlayStation Network (PSN), Clash of Clans, Future Fight, 8 Ball Pool, Summoners War, Clash of Kings, LINE Let’s Get Rich, Monster Strike, Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft, Trivia Crack, Jurassic World, Modern Combat 5, 51wan Game, Heimiwan Game, Tencent Iwan, 9377Game, 17hihi Game, Youzu Game, 844a Game, LINE: Disney Tsum Tsum, 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams, Magic Piano, KHUx, Crash Fever, Dream League, slither.io, iCa Ban Ca, ZingPlay, Fanatee Stop, Covet Fashion - The Game, Madden NFL, Pixel Gun 3D, War Robots, Pokémon GO, Need For Speed, Sniper Fury, ROBLOX, Archery Master 3D, Bike Race, Basketball, Walking Dead, Taiko no Tatsujin Plus, World Series of Poker, Asphalt 8, Lords Mobile, MSP, Real Racing 3, Akinator, BTD Battles, Heart of Vegas, Castle Clash, Soccer Stars, NBA LIVE, Lucktastic, Pop! Slots, Slotomania, Episode, GinRummyPlus, Draw Classic, Slots - House Of Fun, Pogo Games, Gamepedia, GameStop, GameFAQs, 水浒Q传, 同城游, Eve Online, Honor of Kings, World of Warships, Epic Games, Fortnite, Rockstar Games, Grand Theft Auto V, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG), OverWatch, Counter Strike - Global Offensive, Demonware, Ubisoft, Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege, Behaviour Interactive, Dead by Daylight, Smite, Paladins, Duel Links, Gears of War, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, Rules of Survival, Mobile Legends: Bang Bang, Arena of Valor, Vainglory, Super Mario Run, FIFA Mobile Soccer, Tank Stars, Football Strike, Hill Climb Racing 2, Identity V, CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars, Garena Free Fire, JW Alive, Choices, Asphalt 9, NVIDIA GeForce NOW, Head Ball 2, Contra, Brawl Stars, Battlefield V, Golf Battle, Knives Out, Coin Master, Hide Online, Marvel Contest of Champions, Critical Ops, GRIP: Combat Racing
Live streaming Twich
Video KakaoTalk, Kik, LINE, Skype, Viber, Webex, WeChat, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Telegram, TextMe, Azar, imo, Zalo, TextNow, Skype for Business, hike, Kaizala, Discord, Zoom, Jitsi Meet, FreeConference.com, 56 Video, 6.cn, Prime Video, Audible, Baidu Video, Baofeng Video, BreitBart News, CNN, dailymotion, Douban, Flash Video, Microsoft Media Server, HBO NOW, Hulu, Ifeng Video, iQIYI, KKBOX, Ku6, Kuaibo, LeTV, MLB, MP4, MPEG-TS, NBA, Netflix, NFL, Pandora, RTMP, Sina Video, Sohu Video, SoundCloud, Spotify, Tango, TED, Vimeo, Vudu, Youku/Tudou, YouTube, Zedge, Tencent Video, Real Time Media Flow Protocol, TuneIn Radio, Viki, Baidu Music, Deezer, Sing!, Shazam, iHeartRadio, NhacCuaTui, TIDAL, LINE TV, Toggle, bilibili, niconico, Periscope, Palco MP3, Open FM, Live.me, Kankan Video, Broadcastify, My Mixtapez, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, WATCH ABC, Tubi TV, SiriusXM, AbemaTV, Baomihua Video, Tingclass, WASU TV, Migu video, Apple iTunes Music/Movies, SHOWROOM, 17Live, Facetime, Audiomack
Normal Google Duo, GroupMe, DNS, POP3, SAMBA, SMTP, Apple App Store, PayPal, Statistics and Analytics, Microsoft.com, Speedtest, Grab, Airbnb, DB Navigator, GO-JEK, baca, WEBTOON, Job Today, Milanuncios, Lyft, Zillow, Reddit, TopBuzz, Starbucks, Indeed, Stack Exchange, Entertainment Weekly, Stack Overflow, Southwest, FIFA, RDP, TeamViewer, VNC, AnyDesk, Hola, L2TP, LogMeIn Hamachi VPN, PPTP, Tor, OpenVPN Connect, WireGuard VPN, Cloudflare WARP, Internet Key Exchange (IKE), SOCKS, Badoo, FaceBook, Flickr, Blogger, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Renren, Sina Weibo, Tencent Weibo, Topix, Tumblr, Twitter, Wattpad, Fandom, Zoosk, Tinder, Dubsmash, LOVOO, Flipagram, POF Free Dating App, Match, Zhihu, Momo, Baidu Tieba, Meipai, Huaban, Ameba, iFunny , BIGO LIVE, Wishbone , MeetMe & SKOUT, Tagged & hi5, TikTok, MadLipz, Tantan, ZEPETO, Gameloft, Miniclip.com, Kahoot!, Google Play, Google Photos, GitHub, Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo Mail, NetEase Mail, Viki, Google Play Music, Red Bull, rsync, Network File System (NFS), Apple Filing Protocol (AFP), Amazon Kindle, Amazon Web Services, Yahoo News, AOL, Apple Maps, Slack, CarGurus, ESPN, Google Maps, IMDb, Wikipedia, TripAdvisor, Waze, eBay Kleinanzeigen, Flipp, The Wall Street Journal, Yelp, The New York Times, Traveloka, The Washington Post, USA Today, BBC News, Fox News, BuzzFeed, Kijiji, Uber, Booking.com Hotels, Duolingo, SmartNews, Sportsnavi LIVE, Gunosy, Agoda, PedidosYa, McDonald’s, Fandango, realtor.com, United Airlines, Cartola FC, Fly Delta, trivago, American Airlines, Trulia, Expedia, Grubhub, Hotels.com, Craigslist, Eventbrite, 365Scores, GasBuddy, News Break, Postmates, Dunkin, HomeAway, Cinépolis, Pizza Hut, Jalopnik, TIME.com, Drudge Report, The Odyssey Online, Snopes, The New Yorker, Rolling Stone, Lifehacker, Digital Trends, Kotaku, NBC NEWS, Ulta Beauty, Squarespace, People, CNBC, iFood, ASK.com, Toms Hardware, New York Post, Little things, Cars.com, VICE, Los Angeles Times, PC Magazine, San Francisco Chronicle, US News, Answers.com, Vox Media, Wired (magazine), 22 Words, MSN.com, Business Insider, The Western Journal, FiveThirtyEight, Diply.com, Dotdash, beIN Sports, Ryanair, Amazon Shopping, eBay, Taobao/Tmall, JD.com, Shpock, Tokopedia, Wish, Gumtree, Leboncoin, OLX, Ibotta, Walmart, Etsy, Best Buy, Home Depot, Target, Newegg, H&M, Groupon, VipShop, Weidian, Cofco womai, UNIQLO, GU, Mercari, AliExpress, Mercado Libre, Shopee, Wallapop, letgo, Allegro, Walgreens, Tophatter, Poshmark, Checkout 51, Apple Store, Jet, OfferUp, SHEIN, Barnes & Noble, 6pm.com, Cabela’s, Bed Bath & Beyond, Sephora, Office Depot, Costco, Toysrus, Macy’s, Wayfair, IKEA Store, GAP, PChome, udn shopping, Flipkart, Snapdeal Online Shopping, Jabong, ShopClues, Grofers, Bigbasket, HomeShop18, Joom, Vinted (Kleiderkreisel), Vente-privee, Marktplaats, sahibinden.com, Glovo, SkipTheDishes
File transfer FTP, iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote, Imgur, MEGA, 4shared, Everalbum, Gfycat, NetEase, Jianguoyun, Youdao
p2p BitTorrent, eDonkey & eMule
6 Likes

Got a part number ? I’m not having any luck finding this on any of my supplier’s websites.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, by “lifetime” I assume that means lifetime of the physical AP device it is applied to and not my lifetime or the company’s lifetime ? Meaning I buy the license , apply it to a 3000AP, that 3000AP dies the license dies with it ? New AP will require you to purchase a new license / entitlement / key ?

2 Likes

Hi @brubble1,

Here you go:
Part Number: QE-e3000-01A-WW

Yes, it refers to AP’s lifecycle where it’s applied to.
New Ap will require to purchase a new license since the licensing logic is still binded to MAC address.

Thank you.

Is there any use in enabling it only on the SM? Or would it need the AP key to work at all?

Hi @alex_torres,
each radio prioritizes traffic towards radio interface. So it will prioritize uplink traffic when enabled on SM. It also can be useful in some cases.

Is it possible to reclassify a protocol to a higher priority? Example: DNS request and answers should be high priority.

I believe so… it’s listed as one of the Application Group types.

its listed in a application group with a set priority, I am asking about changing the group for a specific protocol or being able to specify a different priority to a protocol despite its group.

Just downloaded the beta and setting up a lab set to test different scenarios, so still not sure yet what we can do with it.

Again, it appears you can… you can choose application or application group:

2 Likes

Ok, but in this screen Smart QoS Feature is locked.

It does mean that the DPI QoS feature will not work, although individual rules can be added and settings saved?

Hi, @Majk ,

it will not work. To unlock it you need to get a license from your local distributor

Can you let me know if there is a Distribution Notice for this or when it will be available? I am getting requests to order but not finding pricing information etc, thanks,

Hi @Jano822,
please contact your local distributor. They should already have the information.

Is this since the last couple of days ? I have contacted streakwave multiple times even directed my rep to this very thread and they say they have no information. I contacted Baltic , they also do not have any idea. When I google the Part# provided above ( QE-e3000-01A-WW ) the only relevant link is to this very thread.

2 Likes

Hey Andrii, I am the local master distributor, we sell LOTS of your products, the sales reps at Cambium I work with were unaware also. We are looking for the distributor notice so i can get the SKU’s added to the website, I have verified the information is not in the Cambium partner portal. Feel free to PM me, thank you,

1 Like

@brubble1, @Jano822
Thank you very much for your interest to this feature!
I’ve pushed sales dept once again to check the distribution of all required info.

I’m really just interested in the cost… I’ll buy some licenses just for testing / trouble shooting /evaluation but mostly I’m just really wanting to know what it’s going to cost since it will probably end up being required.

Customer " All my customers trying to use VOIP are having a lot of drops / latency issues"
Cambium Support " Oh You’re doing V O I P ? well you need to purchase our $mart QOS license !"
Customer “But… this use to work , it worked for years before the $mart QOS solution existed !?”
Cambium Support " Oh ok well then I guess send us the TS file"
Customer “Ok sent it”
Cambium Support " Yep just as we thought, you need to purchase the $mart QOS license !"

Waiting anxiously for the “Extreme $uper Actually works $prectum Analyzer and AP scanner tool license !” Only $1 each time you use it ! ALSO ! EXTRA EXCITING ! To make this per use charge SUPER DUPER EASY and CONVENIENT ! We are installing a *CC card reader on the **radios so you can just scadoodle up those towers or hop over to the customer’s house and swipe the card right there on the radio ! Super convenient ! NOTE: Will require you have CNMeastro XL$ (only 27 easy payments of %50 of your company’s gross income for a 1 year license !)

Maybe someday “Amazing $uper Usable GUI tool license” will be released with addons/plugins like " $uper Easy to read and actually useful Bandwidth graph license" only $1 per month per radio !

Then another plugin like " Add Frame Time to $uper Easy to read Bandwidth Graph license" No more opening two windows to see bandwidth vs frame time ! Only an additional $1 per month per user…

“Change useless Performance tab Total Kilobits to actually useful Mbps !” 3 easy payments of $9.99 per AP per year !

*Credit Card reader will have a chip reader that doesn’t work so you will be required to insert the card 3 times (even if your card doesn’t have a chip), reboot the radio and then swipe the card.

** Credit Card reader does not come with radio, radio sold separately.

6 Likes

Thank You for great ideas for our sales dept!
I think we will have built-in paypass reader in our new E4K and E6K. Will it work for your convenience?

Actually pay for feature schema is something similar to low cost airlines when you don’t pay for unneeded features like luggage or on board meals. We try to make our products more affordable and decreasing the price for basic configuration. So our lovely customer does not have to pay for bunch of features he will never use.

1 Like

where is the processor capacity coming from for this?

Does cambium have any idea how hard and how incredibly frustrating it is when you are trying to troubleshoot customers issues and the information provided on the user interface is almost completely useless ? Any idea how angry it makes your customers when, after YEARS, they still can’t depend on the radio’s UI to reliably tell them something as simple as “Is the Ethernet interface up or down ?”

I mean, that’s not even counting that even if the information was reliable Cambium seems bizarrely incapable or unwilling to display the information we need in a way that is actually useful. But even if you did, nothing on this interface can be taken at face value. Not the Interface up/down status, not the MCS, not the Quality, not the Capacity, not the IP addresses displayed for the various interfaces, nothing on the performance page, NOTHING is reliable .

For YEARS now the SA has been a crashing, buggy, complete crapshoot that just like the rest of the Interface, you have no way of knowing and no reason to believe, that anything it is showing you is even close to accurate.

So when Cambium finds the time and resources to come out with a function for the radios that they charge extra for while not fixing the functions we have already been paying for for YEARS. Sarcasm is really the only possible reaction…

3 Likes