So some ePMP non-gps client radios can do both power supply polarities ?

So I had just finished configuring a connectorized customer radio and started working on a second. After waiting for it to boot I found I couldn't access it. I look and see there are not lights so I make sure the cable is plugged in good and when I go to check the other end ... " OMG I've got it plugged into a Ubiquiti PS  I probably just fried it!".  But then my next thought is " But... I just finished setting up a radio and I didn't change the power supply how can this be?"  Then I assume I must have somehow gotten a hold of a gps-sync radio by mistake so I pop the cover off the radio I just configured and nope, no gps connector there. 

So I plug this non-GPS sync customer radio back into the Ubiquiti PS and sure enough it fires right up and works just fine.  Sure would like to have a bunch of these , would make swapping over from Ubiquiti easier.

Oh the  2nd radio powered up just fine once I connected it to a cambium PS so at least accidentally plugging them into Ubiquiti PS doesn't fry them.  So now I'm thinking about going through all my ePMP non-gps radios and seeing how many will run off a Ubiquiti PS and set those aside for customer swaps where we need to do the swap without going in the house.

@brubble wrote:

So I had just finished configuring a connectorized customer radio and started working on a second. After waiting for it to boot I found I couldn't access it. I look and see there are not lights so I make sure the cable is plugged in good and when I go to check the other end ... " OMG I've got it plugged into a Ubiquiti PS  I probably just fried it!".  But then my next thought is " But... I just finished setting up a radio and I didn't change the power supply how can this be?"  Then I assume I must have somehow gotten a hold of a gps-sync radio by mistake so I pop the cover off the radio I just configured and nope, no gps connector there. 

So I plug this non-GPS sync customer radio back into the Ubiquiti PS and sure enough it fires right up and works just fine.  Sure would like to have a bunch of these , would make swapping over from Ubiquiti easier.

Oh the  2nd radio powered up just fine once I connected it to a cambium PS so at least accidentally plugging them into Ubiquiti PS doesn't fry them.  So now I'm thinking about going through all my ePMP non-gps radios and seeing how many will run off a Ubiquiti PS and set those aside for customer swaps where we need to do the swap without going in the house.

Hi, 

This is strange. The Non-GPS radios cannot be powered by standard 802.3af supply. Can you please post a pictures of the radio with the cover popped off?

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

I just tested 5x ePMP radios. 

The ePMP 2.4 GHz units (1x Integrated and 1x non-gps connectorized) both took UBNT and Mikrotik polarity 24V supplies .

The ePMP 5 GHz units (2x integrated and 1x non-gps connectorized) did NOT accept the UBNT or Mikrotik PoE.

-Chris

1 Like

The ePMP should all accept 24v reverse polarity passively.  Ubnt and Mikroitk are normal polarity - you need to reverse the blue and brown pairs.

Uberdome is right, my 2.4Ghz non-sync epmp radios will run on Ubiquitie power supplies while the 5Ghz will not.  

This is a big deal for anyone swapping out Ubiquiti !  If they can be run off the Ubiquity power supplies that means when we schedule a swap we don't need inside the house so the customer doesn't have to be home (opening up the entire day instead of having to do most of the swaps after 5:00 when the customer gets home from work).

So the big question here is whether or not it is safe to run the 2.4Ghz radios on  standard 802.3af power supplies or will it eventuallyl damage the radio ? 

@jluthman wrote:

The ePMP should all accept 24v reverse polarity passively.  Ubnt and Mikroitk are normal polarity - you need to reverse the blue and brown pairs.

I believe the intention of this thread is to find out which units can use "normal polarity". So far [in my tests], it appears all of the 2.4 GHz radios can accept "normal polarity" and the non-GPS 5 GHz radios can not accept (but are also not damaged by) "normal polarity".

1 Like

"you need to reverse the blue and brown pairs."

Well, except you don't.  

That's a non-gps sync (note there is no sma connector there for gps) standard plain old 2.4Ghz subscriber radio.

1 Like

From the picture i cannot say that the LED's in the device are lit, maybe they are, but i really can't see any green there.

Are you sure this is not other device in your network ?

The other end of that blue patch cable plugged into the "LAN" port on that Ubiquiti PS is  plugged into the only LAN port on the PC in the picture so yeah, I'm 100% sure I'm in the radio pictured.  

I know it shouldn't work. but i tried it to be sure, and well... it did  both conectorized and intergrated 2.4 worked.... didn't try 5ghz gear yet.

i tested with a ubnt 24v GP-A240-050 supply.

I just tried it, and I can also confirm that a ubiquiti power supply works with the epmp 2.4ghz non-synced radios.

I tried a few 5ghz radios and none of them appear to work.

Folks, 

Let me solve the mystery. I just checked with the harware engineers and they have confirmed that the 2.4 GHz units will support opposite (or normal) polarity as well as the Cambium/Canopy PoE (reverse polarity). The 5 GHz units will not since it was designed and went into production much earlier than the 2.4 GHz units and will support only the Cambium reverse polarity. This is only for the Non-GPS units. All GPS units still support Cambium reverse polarity as well as standard 802.3af. 

My apologies for the misleading comment earlier. 

Thanks,

Sriram

1 Like

just means we can make those cpes changes a little faster ;)

1 Like

Woot !  I'll have our Ubiquiti people swapped out in no time now !

1 Like