Software downloads are no longer free

Yeah there are a few of us that spend all of our time on the DSLR forums. The meat and potatoes of canopy is handled here though. I like this place personally. Not so much drama and BS.
8)

Jerry Richardson wrote:
So my understanding is correct. Keep buying radios, and Moto will keep supplying up-to-date software. Go to another vendor, and your warranty expires along with free access to software.

Jerry
are you sure that software updates will be installable on any device?
I suspect that entering the MAC will lock the patch so that you will be able to install it only to one Canopy device. Maybe this will be done in the future?

Ciao
Massimo

As of now it is the full SW package.

I seriously doubt that they will make it MAC specific, they would have to manipulate the package on the fly and somehow track and manage all this MACs…

Theyl prolly make all radios locked without a software key, thats locked to an ESN like Prizm

I better keep all my gears as-is. No upgrades. It makes me sick.

Hi I was looking for the software image for a othorgon gemini lite 5445-07-00,
does anyone has it.

thaks.

for me it looks like step by step plan.

* Prizm for control
* CMM for sync
* software to hardware scheduling, buy new equipments
* control over upgrade, so u stick with moto.

not sure what comes in next, but looks more control, if we keep on accepting.

I have to disagree.

* Prizm for control
Not needed, but recommended. We don’t use it.

* CMM for sync
PacketFlux, Last Mile Gear, and one other company make CMM alternatives. At $99.00 the new SyncPipe is about as cheap a way to get sync there is.

* software to hardware scheduling, buy new equipments
Hardware scheduling is not news. The plan to migrate was outlined in 2005 and they gave everyone almost two years to upgrade their AP’s

* control over upgrade, so u stick with moto.
Buy an AP, SM, BH, or CMMmicro, enter the key on the software page and download the current version of software.

I recently used the program, its pretty easy, just put in a MAC thats less than a year old and the software is there for free, its broken out into three things, canopy, PtP, and Powerline, a mac gets you all the software for the category. I guess maybe we jumped the gun here.

Cant we just download the latest firmware and send it to all who ask? All we need is one guy to pay for it?

Will a new SM work for that? =D

WFN - think about where you are posting your comment - the Motorola Canopy sponsored forum…then re-think making posts like that.

AMX (and all) - [u:3t5h9f0p]ANY[/u:3t5h9f0p] Canopy product with a MAC address will do.

Folks it’s really simple:

Buy Canopy products - Mfr’s warranty covers radio and software updates.
Stop buying products - Warranty expires including getting free updates.

How is this unfair?

Ofcourse this is unfair, isnt this a way to force our hands?
No one else does this and if we accept it other manufactures will start doing the same.

We have to refuse this plan by Canopy. I have a simple ARP issue that they cant solve and want to us to continue buying their products?

This is only because of their status in the market, but I hope they remember who placed them there and how easily they can be removed.

Alvarion has been doing it for years

WFN wrote:
Cant we just download the latest firmware and send it to all who ask? All we need is one guy to pay for it?

Probably illegal and would get the person distributing the files in trouble.
No one else does this and if we accept it other manufactures will start doing the same

When was the last time you downloaded a Cisco IOS version without paying for it?

Aaron

ok look everyone this is not some big conspiracy from moto to make more money this is simply a new accounting practice that came out of all the big corporate accounting scandals (think enron, worldcom etc.)

the new accounting laws state that if you sell a product without certain features and then add features to the product after the warranty period you must account for that value added on your books. apple is doing the same thing with the iphone/ipod touch so let me use that as an example.

for instance with the iphone/ipod touch (they are basically the same device only one has cell phone capabilities and one does not). when apple released a new version of software for the devices (i think it was version 1.1.3) they charged the ipod touch owners $19.99 but they didn’t charge the iphone owners anything. that’s because the iphone has an ongoing subscription to the cell phone service so the value added with the new features was accounted for with the subscription. the ipod touch isn’t a subscription service device so apple had to charge for the upgrade so that they would comply with the new laws.

moto released a press release when they went to the software subscription model stating such. basically the CFO of moto doesn’t want to land in jail for not accounting for the value add of the new features of hardware that’s out of warranty.

as stated before in this thread if you continue to buy moto you will still have free access to the new updates. if you are not buying new moto hardware and you want the updates then you need to pay the subscription. Blame your congressman or senator if you want but don’t blame moto for following the law.

if you have an issue with the software then keep hounding the tech support line. moto is receptive and wants to sell an industry leading product. For those of you who attended animal farm in january i think you’ll agree with me that the moto dev team is committed to making canopy better and better. the squeaky wheel gets the grease so call moto with whatever issue you have so they know what to change. ranting and raving here is not going to accomplish that. this is a “user” forum meaning it’s for us to come together as a community. it’s not “direct line to moto tech support and dev team” forum for that you need to call 888-605-2552

Yeah, what he said!