Upgrade cnMatrix switch through TFTP server from CLI/GUI

Summary:

This document explains the requirement and configuration required to upgrade cnMatrix Switches to the latest software version through the TFTP server.

Cause:

This document explains how to upgrade cnMatrix Switch through the TFTP server.

Solution:

Upgrade through CLI:

Step 1: Download the latest software file (cnMatrix-EX2K-2.1.2-r1.img/tar.gz) from the cambium support site (https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/cnmatrix/).

Note: If the cnMatrix switch current version is older than 2.1-r5 then you need to download .img file for the upgrade. If the switch is running on 2.1-r5 and wants to upgrade to the latest software version then you need to use tar.gz file extension.

Disable windows firewall and antivirus settings on the laptop/desktop during this process because sometimes it interrupts the communication between switch and TFTP server.

Step 2: Setup TFTP server on PC and check network connectivity between switch and PC using ping:

1.png

## In my example I have used the Tftpd64 application for TFTP server.

You need to select a PC interface that communicates to the network/management IP of cnMatrix along with the directory where you have stored the software file.

Step 3: SSH the switch using management/network IP followed by admin credentials and run below command:

Download agent tftp://<PC interface IP>/<complete software filename>

2.png

Step 4: After the successful download, Reboot the Switch to load the new image.

Step 5: After the successful reboot, please check the software version by using the command “show system information” on the switch.

Upgrade through GUI:

Follow Step 1 and Step 2:

Step 3: Log into the web GUI of the cnMatrix switch using the network/management IP address and enter the Username and Password.

Note: Default IP on the Switch Management port is 192.168.0.1 and by default, only HTTPs access is enabled for web access.

Step 4:  Click on System >>> Software Upgrade select the Upgrade from as TFTP, enter Server IP Address (which is laptop interface IP address) and File Name as shown in the figure below:

## After the necessary settings, click the Apply button.

You can check the download process on the TFTP server:

5.png

Step 5: After the successful download, Reboot the Switch to load the new image.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Error updating cnMatrix switch via CLI

i fellow this steps but still failing my software is **cnMatrix-EX2K-2.0.4-r1.img what should i do, i also tried to used USB but the switch says when ever i to ask the switch (sh USB file comand) invalid input
switch is cnmatrix EX2028

Hi @mohamed_abdi,

Could you please confirm what is the target version you tried to.

Please try 2.0.4-r1 → 2.0.5-r2 → 2.1-r5 → Latest version.
FYI,

//Indra

Hi Mohamed,
Switches that have 2.0.4 and earlier release require image file with extension *.img. which can be obtained by unzipping any image file *tar.gz on Cambium Support site. Switches with 2.0.5-r2 or later require the image files with extension *.tar.gz. Note: You can upgrade the switch directly from 2.0.4-r1 to the latest image.