Ver 8.0

Check out page 197 of the manual. The part about session timeout! Looks like corrections are still being made on the manual?

:lol:

This will be fun. :lol:

Updating an SM/AP in the “lab” I have now…can’t wait to see all the cool new features.

Ver 8.1 is up an running on my testing AP.

New cosmetic, some old screens like the spectrum analyzer, DiffService.

I would say is not a great released yet, that’s as far as new options to us or the enduser.

I don’t remember where someone posted that ver 8 will have the ability to route. The function “route add” is available but How does one add an IP address to the Wireless Interface?
All this time that’s the only option I was waiting for.
Looks like I will have to continue buying the 2 port ethernet routers.

Jerry Richardson wrote:
Completely new kernel to fully take advantage of your Advantage and HW scheduling.

Does this imply there could be throughput increases?

I'm closer to an end-user situation, running my own 900 AP and SMC to create a private point-to-point link in a rural NLOS setting to bridge two of my own LAN segments. And 7.3.6 is running VERY stable for me; I just would like to have higher throughput for the LAN bridging.

New cosmetics or even routing etc options don't mean much in my scenario, but if I can squeeze more throughput out of it I'd love to do that. I can get a solid 2X/2X speed maintained with only rare re-regs, so I'm not sure I should rock the boat unless performance is increased in 8.1 vs 7.3.6 HW scheduling.

I currently get this:

Downlink RATE: 4076032 bps
Uplink RATE: 514560 bps
Downlink Efficiency: 100 Percent
Uplink Efficiency: 100 Percent

based on a 85% download ratio.

Anybody done performance tests yet?

I have been a v8 beta tester since the beginning. There were many issues we saw get “fixed” and many we requested and didn’t see fixed. To be honest, I just found out they released a production build - they didn’t even inform the beta testers of this. :? Figures.

Anyway, I think I’ll stick this build into one or two of my test sites and see. There were a few of the changes that made me want to stay with v7 (ie. no read-only access). Not sure if that’s fixed or not. Probably not. haha

Anyway, with the beta builds I did not see any improvment in throughput, but more stability in tough links. This is my experience, yours may be different.

Aaron

I upgraded one site last night - it looks like the permissions level thing has not changed - still no read-only access.

Also, I don’t really like the way the login procedure works. And during beta testing there was an issue with the web server sessions not timing out - so if you just close your browser window without clicking Logout it would tie up one session. After 16 (I think) of these you could not access the radio via http and had to telnet in and reboot. I think I’ll try to make this one fill up and see what happens.

Aaron

acherman:
Please post what you find out about the 16 sessions - I hope they fixed that, but if you are already testing for that I would love to know…

Thanks! :smiley:

Yup, the 16 sessions thing is still an issue. I was able to lock mine up easily. Even waiting for the supposed “Session Timeout” (default 600 seconds) I could not log back in. I received the usual message:

Unauthorized
You have timed out of your session, attempted an unauthorized access, or have exceeded your maximum allowed sessions.
Please press here to continue

After telnetting in and rebooting, the event log contains lines like the following:
File mpc860obj/webgui.c : Line 9335 Web Server is out of sessions

One of these for every attempt to log in under this condition.

This may just be me, but I don’t want to have to hit Logout every time I leave the webpage. PITA. (the whole login procedure in v8 )

Aaron