Any chance of new 2.4GHz AX ePMP?

With sync and some planning, a 5 or 10mhz channel isnt needed especially since the wifi channel size is 20, 40 and 80mhz!
I would be happy with 20 and 40mhz and sync over power.

1 Like

This is an interesting consideration. Most of our 2.4 GHz is in 5 MHz or 10 MHz channels due to noise; and we’re in a low noise area. I wonder if the benefits of AX would be outweighed by the need to use a wider channel [when noise is present].

I certainly think so - and I think the Chipset manufacturers think so too. That’s why 2.4 was reborn in AX… they specifically took steps to mitigate interference, and to build a technology which uses spectrum more efficiently and more wisely. As I understand it, the whole OFDMA resource unit concept in AX is targeted at using less spectrum and delivering higher bandwidth.

1 Like

Yep, we run lots of our 1000 2.4 gear in 10mhz & in 20mhz widths, depending on needs in that location. But I’d be happy with AX in 20 mhz (if the chipset is incapable of going to 10)

AX 2.4 doesn’t have to be perfect, or solve every problem, everywhere in order for it to have value. If it solves some of the problems, in some of the places, then it’ll be another useful tool in the toolbox. :pray:

I would prefer not to see a 10mhz channel simply due to the wifi noise being on 20mhz and 40mhz channels in 2.4ghz. If we match channel size and have better encoding, then sync will solve the majority of issues with wifi interference.

This is an interesting idea - I agree with it conceptually, but we regularly find results that don’t match the idea. I have found it much easier to fit a 5 MHz or 10 MHz channel than to use one of the major 3x 20 MHz channels. I have always pictured this being a result of non-WiFi devices using smaller channels.

More accurate to describe your issue as devices not using one of the three non-overlapping channels that do not even have a guard band between them. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the non-overlapping, but that doesnt stop an AP from using channels 3 or 9 and distrupting everything on both adjacent channels but since there is a window of low power on the edges of these channels it looks clear to the simple scan these devices use to determine if a channel is usable.
Then there are the 40mhz monsters whom eat up 2/3rds of the spectrum.

Matching wifi and using guaranteed frame patterns (gps sync) does wonders to mitigate interference and adding OFDMA with multiple polarization and small sub channels adds even more interference mitigation.

2 Likes

thats good. we would also be wanting 2.4GHz platform.

3 Likes

We have a few of the 2.6GHz ePMP1000 AP’s . I’d imagine there’d be quite a few WISPS out there who would rip Cambium’s arms off for a fixed wireless 2.5/2.6GHz AX AP. LTE is practically impossible to deploy on solar sites. LTE costs mean we’d never get ROI on very rural sites.

4 Likes

Since my last post, we’ve got word that Cambium still has no plans for any new products operating in the 2.4GHz band, and they’re stopping production of the 450i 900MHz product. As I mentioned before, we have Canada closing down the 3.65GHz band in favour of the future 3.9GHz band where we will be limited to 20MHz of total spectrum.

2.4GHz in North America has three non-overlapping channels of 20MHz wide channels, which just need these AX chipsets to take advantage of it. With the loss of 450i 900MHz, we definitely need a NLOS product that can take its place.

2 Likes

Cambium isnt listening about 900mhz nor 2.4ghz.

There is 26mhz of space in 900mhz, but lomited to 20mhz. Could do higher modulation schemes but does not. Allowed a full watt conducted per polarization but limited to 1 watt combined.

2.4ghz is an essential band for us, it is what we use when 5ghz isnt practicable or can not get a clean enough channel. We also use it extensively at customer sites for multi building connections as it keeps away from 5ghz which we use to deliver the service.

ISED is being stupid right now, taking after our MIC, 3.65ghz has been fixed wireless use for 20yrs, has no real scope for 5G connectivity but they want us to use 3.9ghz with no equipment and at approximately half power. Not to mention that this is right up against the 4ghz depletion boundry so its not very useful for long distance.

2 Likes

We will switch to any vendor who does do this.

We will switch to whatever vendor does listen about this.

1 Like

Agreed. Will go with whomever comes out with a 2.4 based AX. I would prefer Cambium, but…

2 Likes

If any of you are attending WISPAPALOOZA 2023 this year… I think there might be some interesting announcements! :wink:

3 Likes

Hope springs eternal!

1 Like

You had me at ‘Palooza’!! :grin: Optimistic about exciting times ahead!

Are they seriously stopping production of 900mhz?

1 Like
1 Like

Guess I need to sign up for the EOL report.

So those of us in heavy NLOS areas have no where to turn at this point, after investing 100s of thousands into Cambium gear…

Well… like I said a few posts back… there’s going to be some very interesting news at WISPALOOZA this year.

1 Like