Could a 450M 3GHz support 3900 - 3980MHz?

Hello,

ISED is currently looking for comments on the allocation of the previous Canadian “WBS” band. 3.65GHz - 3.7GHz.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11627.html

The most recent text indicates that ISED would like to move all current users of 3.65GHz to the 3.9GHz - 3.98GHz space.

I notice the spec sheet of the 450m says it’s capable up to 3.9GHz, but does Cambium know if we can actually use up to 3.980GHz? I would like to submit comments to ISED if this is a good or bad idea. If it is not possible to run a 450M in 3.980GHz I want to let ISED know as soon as possible so we can futureproof our investments.

Thank you

1 Like

I have read that, and have already been in discussion with several CanWISP members. Here is what we can say at this time.

The hardware does not support operation in that band today. We have component-based filtering in place to prevent out of band emissions, which includes things above 3900 or so. We can enable the product to operate in frequencies higher than 3900 MHz, but there is performance degradation that gets worse very quickly beyond that… we will work to characterize this, but I don’t expect those results to show that the product platform is practically usable from 3900-3980 MHz.

Cambium stands ready to support (with as much data as possible) the arguments that CanWISP intends to make, and my personal opinion is to try to quantify not only the cost of replacing existing equipment, but the lost opportunity cost of stopping all current investment for your business due to the possibility of being displaced by “Option 2”.

For those that want to read about the possible options, Section 9 of this document covers the potential outcomes.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt,

To all reading: If you are a user of 3.65 in Canada I highly urge you to submit comments to ISED to get away from 3900-3980. This would be an extreme problem on our network as it sounds like we would have to wait for a specific run of hardware from Cambium to run 3.90GHz. Doesn’t sound like the right move for Canada.

1 Like

Ryan, if you are not a member of CanWISP, I would recommend checking out the organization. We are the Canadian version of WISPA.

www.canwisp.ca

Our organization is definitely working hard on this consultation.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I am a member. Haven’t seen any discussion about this on the mailing list but glad to hear canwisp is also understanding how this would impact current WBS users.

Is there any chance that Cambium would do a hardware revision? It would be entirely for the Canadian market, so that begs the question whether Canadian customers are a large enough group for there to be a business case for such a thing…
All I can say is that I sure hope they are.

Additional to my question above about whether Cambium would consider a hardware revision for 3900-3980, I’m curious about Cambium’s ability to operate in the 6Ghz Band with the 5Ghz 450m(or an alternative) for Point to Multipoint purposes.

For background:
ISED Consultation http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11627.html

Item 93 in the 3800 consultation;
“In addition, ISED had been monitoring the U.S. process for the 5925-7125 MHz (6 GHz) band. In the Spectrum Outlook, ISED classified this band as a Priority 3 with a plan to monitor international activities, given that discussions in the U.S. had just begun at the time of its publication. However, ISED now considers the 6 GHz band as Priority 1 based on the developments taking place internationally, and will be developing a consultation on making this spectrum available in Canada.”

So naturally, I was curious if Cambium has a radio available that could utilize that spectrum? My guess would be the 5Ghz 450m. The spec sheet says up to 5925, but I’m sure it can go higher with software… but high enough is the question.
@CambiumMatt, are you able to comment on that? Any insight would be helpful for us Canadian’s in limbo right now, wondering about what our future spectrum might look like… and just what the heck we can do with it?

Thanks for the questions Neil…

With respect to 3 GHz, as noted above, there needs to be new hardware to support anything above 3.900 GHz. We are not yet working on anything, but there is potential for this in the future.

With respect to 6 GHz (5.925-7.125 GHz), we are working toward a new product (new hardware) that is capable of supporting this. The ePMP series product is based on 802.11 chipsets, and the 802.11ax chipset (also known as WiFi6e) will be capable of this band per the standard.

For 450, this is new development, but between the US market and other markets opening up globally, we believe we will be pursuing a new 450-based product for the 6 GHz band as well. We are really excited about this, as this will certainly be a big leap for the platform in both new spectrum and radio performance.

The current hardware will only support up to 5.925 GHz.

2 Likes

For a bit of additional color, the US market for 6 GHz will require AFQ (Automated Frequency Coordination) to protect encumbents (license holders). This makes things a bit more complex, and we estimate the band to be ready toward the end of next year (2021), or early in 2022.

This is around the same timeline we expect to have both ePMP 4000 and the “next gen” 450 available.

2 Likes

As a follow-up @CambiumMatt, ISED has posted a consultaion on the 6Ghz Band. Perhaps you are already aware of this, but if not I suppose it would be of Cambium’s interest.

Yes, I have seen that last week, and we are running that down to understand the differences between this and what the FCC is proposing… at first glance, they are quite similar.