ePMP Forward and Backward compatibility rules

ePMP_Compatibility.jpg

5 Likes

Hi Fedor,

Any update on EPMP2000 firmware 4.3.x release date?

1 Like

@Fedor wrote:

ePMP_Compatibility.png

Is that a typo, where you listed  3.5.x for 11AC SM's?  Or did you mean that an 11AC AP with 4.3.x, won't be compatible with an old 11n SM with old 3.5.x firmware?

1 Like

@ninedd,

Correct. Sorry for the typo.

It has been corrected.

Thank you.

Hi Ryan,

We are starting with Backward compatibility with 4.3.1 FW.

And Forward compatibility is coming after.

Thank you.

Any release date on this FW verison?  Or the Beta that allows for backward compatablity?

1 Like

@Fedor wrote:

We are starting with Backward compatibility with 4.3.1 FW.

And Forward compatibility is coming after.

I have a Support Ticket open for weeks trying to get my Force300 SM's to connect to my ePMP2000 AP's.  They have me trying all sorts of settings with 4.3.1-RC beta software. But from what you said Fedor, you're saying this isn't going to work at all at this stage, That's OK I guess, but it would have been great for them to tell me that weeks ago and I could have moved on to other things.

1 Like

I would just like to start buying one SKU again. Pains me to keep buying Force200 when Force300 is there with no software. Would love to start the migrations to EPMP3000. 

Fedor, any update when the beta will be released for the backward compatablity?

1 Like

So does this mean that the 3000s are now backwards compatible with the 200s?  If so, what settings need to be enbled to do so?

Not until the 4.3.x FW for the Old 1000 gear.  Which is in closed beta/alpha stage and who knows when it will go to open beta.  We are holding off ordering any 3000 gear but PTP links as we don't want to have to forklift everyone to Force300's.

This is extremely unfortunate as I'm staring at a stack of Force 300s I can't use and I only bought because Baltic said they couldn't get Force 200s..

@Isaac Uban wrote:

This is extremely unfortunate as I'm staring at a stack of Force 300s I can't use and I only bought because Baltic said they couldn't get Force 200s..

I feel your pain.  We have mostly ePMP2000 AP's in the field, with a bunch of existing clients, and I bought just Force300's a while ago, I understood the road map to be that type of compatibility first.  In any event - same as you - I have no gear to use.

But - on the upside, the 4.3.2 which will bring compatibility is in Beta, and I know people who have connected Force200's to e3K AP's, as well as connecting Force300's to e2K AP's - so it's just a matter of them squashing the last bugs and making it work well.  I know there are companies who release half baked firmware, and it is a catch-22 for Cambium. We all want it yesterday, AND we all also want it perfect.  Cambium tries to err on the side of making things as good as possible before release.

But, all that said... my gut says we'll see compatibility firmware very soon.

@sherwoodj28 wrote:

So does this mean that the 3000s are now backwards compatible with the 200s?  If so, what settings need to be enbled to do so?

Hi all.  Just so nobody frets too much, be assured that Cambium is working very hard on compatibility (forwards & backwards) for everything in the ePMP line, and that it's coming very soon. It's a difficult task and it's no wonder that many other manufacturers have struggled or abandoned the goal of compatibility between generations. However - in my opinion, Cambium has taken a commitment of 'no ePMP left behind' seriously, and is closing in on complete compatibility.

So, 4.3.2 with full compatibility is already in Private Beta, and so it shan't be spoken about here... but Cambium has released Version 4.3.1 for AC devices (ePMP3000/Force300) and has also posted a Public Beta 4.3.1-RC26 for 'N' Subscriber Modules.  That 4.3.1-RC26 for 'N' brings 'Backwards Compatibility' for connecting ePMP3000 Access Points 'backwards' to older 'N' Subscriber Modules.

Attached is an image showing one of our ePMP3000 AP's (running 4.3.1 for AC) with the following SM's (running 4.3.2-RC26 for N) all happily connected: a 1st Generation ePMP1000 Connectorized SM, a Force180, a Force190, as well as three Force300's all connected, all working well, all getting along happily, all sharing air time fairly, and all performing quite well.

I realize that many of you have already tried the Beta Release Candidate RC26, but I just wanted to post this for those who hadn't, or who can't, or who aren't members of the Public Beta group and to let everyone know that connecting older 'N' Subscriber Modules to e3K AP's seems to be working well in RC26, and should be released soon, and also that connecting new 'AC' Subscriber Modules to older e1K/e2K AP's with is also getting close and that 4.3.2 is already in Private Beta. :)

2 Likes

@wally1 wrote:

Not until the 4.3.x FW for the Old 1000 gear.  Which is in closed beta/alpha stage and who knows when it will go to open beta.  We are holding off ordering any 3000 gear but PTP links as we don't want to have to forklift everyone to Force300's.

Hi @wally1 - see my post above. There is 4.3.1-RC26 for 'N' Subscriber Modules in the Public Beta forum which we are using currently. It's connected every 1000/2000 series SM we have to our ePMP3000 AP just fine.  Stability seems fine, speeds seem fine. So - that should allow you to change AP's over to ePMP3000's if you choose to, and to add Force300's going forward - without having to forklift everyone :)

1 Like

@sherwoodj28 wrote:

Yes, that's correct.

Backward Compatibility mode shpuld be enabled on ePMP3000 (Configuration -> Radio page, General Section).

4.3.1-RC26 Beta FW has been already uploaded to Web-site:

https://support.cambiumnetworks.com/files/epmp/beta

Official FW for .11n radios will be released in scope of 4.3.2 FW version in few weeks.

Thank you.

Buen día, yo tengo en mi red los ePMP 1000 SM (antena integrada), ePMP Force 180 SM y los ePMP Force 190 SM. Mi pregunta es: si cambio por el AP ePMP 3k, los equipos antes mencionados. ¿podrían conectarse sin problemas, al nuevo AP ePMP3k?.

Espero su pronta respuesta para poder planificar la adquisición de este nuevo modelo...Gracias

Yes. e3K will work with ePMP 1000ePMP Force 180 and Force 190 SMs. 

Andy84 said: "I have ePMP 1000 SM (integrated antenna), ePMP Force 180 SM and ePMP Force 190 SM. If I change to the ePMP 3k AP, could I connect the aforementioned equipment to the new AP ePMP3000 AP?"

The short answer is YES.

The longer answer is, I have an ePMP 3000AP with ePMP1000, F180, F190, F200 and F300 all connected happily. I’m running the latest Beta 4.3.2-RC on everything, and I’m not seeing any issues.

I have also connected all the same CPEs to an ePMP2000 AP too, so I have F300’s connected to ePMP2000 APs happily too.

What about bacward compatibility if AP is 4.4.2 (ePMP2000) and CPE are on 3.5.6?