How do I bring my AP online and activate it in XMS-Cloud

Summary:

This article demonstrates how to bring your AP online and activate it in XMS-Cloud if it doesn’t happen automatically.

Prerequisites

XMS Cloud APs will automatically activate when plugged into a network given the following prerequisites:

• XMS Cloud features have been ordered for the APs, and the reseller/distributor has submitted the paperwork to Cambium Networks.
  • The AP is assigned to a domain (if you are using CommandCenter. CommandCenter is typically only used by Managed Service Providers. If you are not using CommandCenter, skip this item).
  • The AP is provided adequate power.
  • The AP receives a DHCP offer from the wired LAN that includes working IP and DNS information.
  • The AP has the correct time.
  • There is no content filter spoofing HTTPS certificates (such as Palo Altos do for network monitoring).
  • The AP is allowed to reach the following required services:
    NTP (UDP port 123) to time.nist.gov
    Outbound access from each of the APs on HTTPS (TCP port 443) resolving to the below URLs
    Working DNS (TCP/UDP port 53) resolving to the below URLs
    *.cambiumnetworks.com (for cnRouter & cnMaestro purposes)
    *.xirrus.com (for activation & license key)
    *.cloud.xirrus.com(for general communications with XMS Cloud)
    *.cloudfront.net (for software downloads)
    *.amazonaws.com (for diagnostic log purposes)
  • There is no proxy or other device blocking the APs access to the WAN.
  • The AP is running AOS 7.6 or later and CaOS AP’s are running 6.3 or later.
  • The AP has been up for at least five minutes.

With the above prerequisites met, the APs will activate automatically and will show the following status messages in order.

Offline, Upgrading
Offline, Optimizing
Offline, Configuring
Online, Activated

AOS

If the AP(s) appear in the Cloud dashboard but show not activated or waiting, please review each of the above prerequisites. If all of the above are met, but the AP remains offline/not activated, then you may need to manually configure the AP(s) for XMS-Cloud. Please establish an SSH session (e.g. via PuTTY or Terminal) into each affected AP at its LAN IP address (default credentials admin/admin) or use Xircon AOS only and paste in the appropriate commands:

config
date
ntp enable
exit
management
activation stop
activation interval 1
activation start
save

Each AP will then appear online within 10-15 minutes. If they do not, please obtain a Tech Support log from the AP so we may advise further. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.

X Series

If the AP(s) appear in the Cloud dashboard but show not activated or waiting, please review each of the above prerequisites. If all of the above are met, but the AP remains offline/not activated, then you may need to manually configure the AP(s) for XMS-Cloud. Please establish an SSH session (e.g. via PuTTY or Terminal) into each affected AP at its LAN IP address (default credentials admin/admin).

no management cambium-remote
apply
management cambium-remote
apply

Each AP will then appear online within 10-15 minutes. If they do not, please obtain a Tech Support log from the AP so we may advise further. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.

What do I do if the APs are missing from the Cloud dashboard entirely?
If an AP is missing from the Cloud dashboard entirely, it’s likely that the entitlement has not been activated and the AP added. Please see the below video on how to do this.

What do I do if I cant find my login credentials for the Cloud dashboard?
You can request a reminder using the forgot password link at login.xirrus.com. Your username is typically your email address. If the email seems to take more than a few minutes to arrive, you may need to check your spam folder.

What do I do if my firewall does not support URL whitelisting?
XMS Cloud IP addresses can change without warning and are maintained by Amazon. If you require a list of the IP addresses for a firewall that does not support domain whitelisting, please consult the following Amazon page: https://ip-ranges.amazonaws.com/ip-ranges.json

The APs also require several ports for normal operation. These are covered in detail in the AOS user guide:

ArrayOS User Guide : Installing the Wireless AP : Planning Your Installation : Port Requirements
http://online-docs.cloud.xirrus.com/aos/prod/8.5/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=aos_chap2.02.09.html