How to connect cnPulse in different sync modes with PMP 450i and PMP 450m (cable diagrams)

Summary

The purpose of this article to display the different modes in which an AP can be connected to GPS sync (cnPulse) and covers every possible combination of cables connecting to the main ethernet port so that verifying the connections and the accessories used should be easy.

cnPulse is the latest GPS synchronization generation device designed specifically for Cambium Networks PMP and PTP radios. This equipment is intended for professional applications for fixed outdoor installations only.

PMP 450i

Aux port sync mode with PMP 450i

Cambium Sync mode with PMP 450i

GPS sync to two PMP 450i APs

5 GHz PMP 450m

Aux port sync mode with copper cable (RJ45) to 5GHz 450m main port

Cambium Sync mode with copper cable (RJ45) to 5GHz 450m main port

GPS sync to two PMP 450m with copper cable (RJ45) to 5GHz 450m main port

Aux port sync mode with fiber input to 5GHz 450m SFP2 port

Cambium Sync mode with fiber input to 5GHz 450m SFP2 port

GPS sync to two 5GHz PMP 450m with fiber input to SFP2 port

3 GHz PMP 450m

Aux Serial mode with copper cable (RJ45) to 3 GHz 450m main port

Cambium Sync mode with copper cable (RJ45) to 3 GHz 450m main port

GPS sync to two PMP 450m with copper cable (RJ45) to 3 GHz 450m main port

Aux port sync mode with fiber input to 3 GHz 450m SFP2 port

Cambium Sync mode with fiber input to 3 GHz 450m SFP2 port

GPS sync to two 3 GHz PMP 450m with fiber input to SFP2 port

3 Likes

Does Cambium intend to develop CnPulse that can provide sync to more than just 2 radios at a time (without the use of CMM5)?

Currently sending primary sync to a cluster via Packetflux Rackinjector, and would like to use CnPulse as auxiliary sync at operating height - however it is not ideal to put up 5 CnPulse GPS’s for an array of 10 access points…

Currently using Packetflux Syncbox 12 at operating height - which provides sync to up to 12 Radios. However we’ve found that CnPulse holds synchronization better than the Syncbox 12 at a site where we are colocated with some really hot FM…

Would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Use the cnMatrix Tower T2000 switch series. 1 cnPulse or simple GPS antenna connected to the switch, Cambium sync to all AP’s connected to the switch.
cnMatrix TX2020R-P Enterprise Switch | Cambium Networks
cnMatrix TX2012R-P Enterprise Switch | Cambium Networks

1 Like

The cnPulse is intended to be a low cost solution for one or two sectors. I agree with Dave above that the solution for additional sectors is the Tower Switch series of cnMatrix, which will continue to evolve. This is a great solution for providing power (to non-DC only powered radios), sync and wireless-aware switching capabilities to all Cambium equipment.

How about adding the diagram for a 3 GHz PMP 450b radio connecting using the AUX / RJ45 cable N000000L127A for completeness. To me it seems that you will need to run two cables up with one providing the 44-59V power to the cnPulse and the other providing the standard 30V PoE to the 450b radio.

What settings do you enable on the AP once doing something like Picture1? Presumably one of the two AutoSync settings, but then what else (if anything)?

Update: I think I just needed to flip on “Aux Port Power to UGPS.”

Can this article be updated to cover scenarios where you’re using cnPulse / cnMatrix / 450i or 450m?