XV2-2T0 small distance (Power 28 dbm)

In the demo video, the client antenna is working at a distance of 1000 meters. In reality, clients do not connect further than 100 meters. At the same time, the power of the client antenna is 26 dbm and Antenna Gain 5 dbi.
What is the problem?

1 Like

I would say good marketing… :wink:

3 Likes

The movie was created on “the desert” without any interferences with only one client.

1 Like

What type of client are you using? Best performance will be achieved with clients that use the new WiFi6/802.11ax standard probably using the 2.4GHz band. Are you performing the tests at 100m LOS or?

Client 802.11ax using 2.4Ghz 100m Los.

If you can get 100m thats pretty decent, regardless of the demo video.

Whilst at 100m it may not be -65dbm, it may still work with a low level number of end users.

:joy: :joy:
100 m is good ?
I don’t think so :frowning: Not on hotspot which cost about 1000$.

1 Like

Cambium what do you say about this situation? Are you really cheating when you sell this solution?

I heard rumors that the device with 120 users can hang to the maximum

1 Like

I was directly involved in this testing and I can assure you it was done fairly and correctly. We went to great lengths to ensure the test was fair for all vendors and even tried many different mounting orientations on the competitor APs trying to get better range and performance from those APs. We used a couple different wireless client devices but mainly used the Samsung Galaxy S10e running Android 11 OS with no alterations and we had the phone running off of battery (not plugged in). Many of today’s smartphones and mobile devices are capable of connecting well over 500 meters and in this case, can maintain the connection out to 1Km. BTW, the results in the video are for 5GHz. These test results are very repeatable and I welcome any who would like to visit Southern California to bring your favorite outdoor AP and you can see for yourself how the Cambium XV2-2T0 smokes the competition.

With all that said, would I design my outdoor network for these APs to cover 1Km? No, I would not but this test does highlight the superiority of this product over the competition and of course, your mileage will vary depending on the environment with all sorts of variables (LOS vs NLOS, density of trees and foliage in the coverage area, RF interference, etc.) to take into consideration.

5 Likes

I tested the XV2-2T0 in the early days side-by-side against a Cisco Aironet 1572EAC with with dual band 8dBi directional patch antenna and absolutely, in a clear LOS environment, it smoked the 1572 in 5GHz. However, when I moved my NetAlly Aircheck into the treed area, it was about equal in RSSI measurement with the 1572. Impressive though when comparing a radio with omni antenna to one with a directional antenna. I do have plans to install about 20 of the XV2-2T0s in a large marina. It will be a good fit.

2 Likes

We use this power supply (attached). Could it be that the problem is in it?

I would like to see more about that install.

If you are speaking of the install with 20+ XV2-2TO, that has not happened yet but I will let you know.

That PoE injector is for Cambium fixed wireless product. You need to be using the Cambium N000000L142A 60W (or compatible PoE injector) if you are planning to use the PoE out port of the AP to power an auxiliary device or a Cambium N000000L034A 30W (or compatible PoE injector) if you are not using the PoE out of the AP (assuming a 1Gig Ethernet injector is adequate for your install).

Yeah thats what I am “speaking of”.

I have done the routing for a few marinas. But they end up going UniF–k for the wireless and switching.

I explain the VLANS and subnets I have laid out and its out of my hands.

When I check the marinas there seems to be just about nothing on the guest IP scope. But no one says a thing to me about it.

I laid out the whole system and got told the “Ubiquiti guy will handle the rest.”
My typical warning went out… “If you have a WiFi problem… don’t come b-tcing to me.”

There has been one call… I changed the VLAN on one of my ports and direct connecting a computer worked as expected. (This made it clear they had messed up their VLANs.)

Once we confirmed it was not a ROUTING problem… I got the phone call… “Not your problem Chris.”

The site does not have a service contract… so there is no reason for me to “poke around” other than my curiosity.

What do you meany by: “When I check the marinas there seems to be just about nothing on the guest IP scope”?

I mean there is a subnet for hardware. Staff. And guests. Which was supposed to cover people in the event center and boats outside. Yet I see nothing taking IPs in that subnet.

what Cambium part number is this? One of our passive PoE injectors? We recommend the Cambium 60W/56V/5Gbps injector for use with the XV2-2T0/XV2-2T1.

XV2-2T0 (omni high gain) is a very good choice for a marina as it has excellent range, very consistent coverage in the 360deg around the device, is IP67 rated so can handle harsh weather environments, has PoE output for powering a secondary device like camera or other, and has both 2.4G and 5G bands. The sister device (XV2-2T1) is a version with more targeted coverage capability (sector antenna).