Zero Touch Configuration webinar

The recording of this morning's 450 Zero Touch Configuration webinar is available for replay HERE. Please post any questions or feedback to this thread.

Zero Touch Config.jpg

2 Likes

Thanks everyone that attended, and if you didnt' get a chance, the entire webinar is just under 30 minutes....

Feel free to post additional questions in this thread, and we'll be happy to discuss them.

Again thanks for your interest!

Matt

2 Likes

Here's an updated link for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyzpsSdmIEk

Maybe there is a more formal one on Cambium's Youtube channel, but I couldn't locate it.

We are working through getting this set up, and my challenge is how to know which Color Code to set in the configuration file for that SM, prior to powering the SM and "putting up in the air"? We could guess simply by azimuth to the tower I suppose.

Thanks for pondering,

Kevin

If we remove the color code from the provisioning configuration file, the SM will scan for the highest power AP, then associate via ICC, then get DHCP, a new config file, and reboot automatically. Then you still have to reboot a second time to apply the color code that the SM registered to in ICC mode, so that you can get out of ICC mode.

Is there any override that will allow bridging for the ethernet port when in ICC?

@kelmore wrote:

If we remove the color code from the provisioning configuration file, the SM will scan for the highest power AP, then associate via ICC, then get DHCP, a new config file, and reboot automatically. Then you still have to reboot a second time to apply the color code that the SM registered to in ICC mode, so that you can get out of ICC mode.

Is there any override that will allow bridging for the ethernet port when in ICC?

Kevin,

We did fix that the SM doesn't need a reboot to change Color Code 1. That fix went into 16.0.1.1 and 16.1. The Additional Color Codes already did not require a reboot.

So maybe instead of Installation Color Code (ICC) you could configure multiple color codes for all the APs? Then trim them down or set the other ones to Secondary/Tertiary after deciding which one is Primary?

There is no option to allow bridging with ICC. It only allows management traffic and Link Test.

Charlie

We may have come up with a solution.

We modified our zero-touch config to use the http with a "?" in the string, and were able to get the SM to inform the zero-touch configuration script with the Color Code information of the AP that it was associated to during ICC.

This information allows the SM to exit the "Bridging Disabled" mode once it re-registers to the AP using the actual color code of the AP. Thanks for the ideas @charlie that helped get us to this solution.

1 Like

@Charlie

We have our SMs picking up the Option66 information, and applying a configuration file properly. Once they are no longer in ICC mode, we don't need the SM to request Option66 information any longer. 

Is there a control to get the SMs to stop requesting configuration files? It seems that it does so every 3 minutes---until when? Or is this by design so that you can make ongoing system-wide changes easily?

Edit:

I did find at minute 17 in the video, that if you disable ICC then it should stop requesting Option66 information. I've disabled ICC on the SM in the Radio settings menu, but it still requests every 3 minutes. Maybe disabling on the AP will do the trick, but that seems like it works against the grain for allowing zero-touch to exist.

@kelmore wrote:

@Charlie

We have our SMs picking up the Option66 information, and applying a configuration file properly. Once they are no longer in ICC mode, we don't need the SM to request Option66 information any longer. 

Is there a control to get the SMs to stop requesting configuration files? It seems that it does so every 3 minutes---until when? Or is this by design so that you can make ongoing system-wide changes easily?

Edit:

I did find at minute 17 in the video, that if you disable ICC then it should stop requesting Option66 information. I've disabled ICC on the SM in the Radio settings menu, but it still requests every 3 minutes. Maybe disabling on the AP will do the trick, but that seems like it works against the grain for allowing zero-touch to exist.

kelmore,

I'm not the Option 66 expert here, but I can try to help.

Yes, if the SM is still set to DHCP and Public Network Accessibility, then it will continue to get the Option 66 information. This is by design, so that if you want to change everything you could easily.

If you turned off DHCP in your config, and the SM is not connecting via ICC then it should not get the Option 66 info anymore.

3 minutes seems very often. What is your DHCP Lease Time configured for? 

Charlie

OK That makes sense. This radio was connected to a "provisioning network" which has 5 minute DHCP lease times, so that explains the timing. Normally we'd have longer lease times.

Thanks for the info,

Kevin

1 Like